DimarzioForum.Com > The Pickup Place

Are these switching options possible ?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Guitar74:
I thin I would opt for the traditional switch and the push/pull pots.

Virtuoso:

--- Quote from: BluesJam on June 18, 2019, 11:36:21 PM ---Your switching system is overly complicated with several tones that would be similar anyways. In a live situation, it won’t work.  Just too much fiddling around.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: marcwormjim on June 19, 2019, 03:43:40 AM ---In summary: Your combinations of 6 pickup coils for the sake of humcancelling can be achieved but, as BluesJam suggests, series/parallel switching is a simplified way of achieving singlecoil tones between three humbuckers. Your diagrams are the messy alternative: Having to keep track of which of six coils are available between 13 switching combinations, with each dependent upon a particular arrangement of binary coil states, and some only possible through three or more switches being engaged.

--- End quote ---

Wow, okay I'll forget about my switching option :o I see now how overly complicated this would be. I appreciate the detailed answers :D

What kind of switching options can be made using a standard 5 switch or a super switch, a DPDT miniswitch or volum/tone pot switch ? I still want the switching option when coil tap is off. But I am open for whatever switching option can be made when coil tap is on. Would a true single coil make the installment easier ? With the cost of not being humcancelling ?

I was looking at the Ibanez EGEN and TAM series when I made my own switching options. But they use a true single coil not a pickup in the middle.

TAM

EGEN

BluesJam:
I would forgo the split coil options.  Parallel wiring in sound uses both coils independently, so you will get hum canceling single coil tones.  But regardless, humbuckers in series will be louder, so there is going to be a compromise in output.  Unless you wire resistors into the circuit to bring the down the output of a the pickup in series to match the output in the other configurations.  But, now we’re getting into very complex wiring schemes.  You won’t need a super switch, if you wire as above.  Unfortunately, you will have 11 options and only need 4 tops.

BluesJam:
Another option, use a (1) 3 way switch (1)  volume push/pull blow switch; (1) tone pot push/pull parallel option; and (1) blend pot for the middle pickup.

The 3-way switch controls the full size humbucker options.  The blend will give you all the 5-way tonal options, plus all pickups on together and neck and bridge together options;  plus blow switch.

This would be the optimum simple but most effective setup

Virtuoso:

--- Quote from: BluesJam on June 19, 2019, 03:06:59 PM ---I would forgo the split coil options.  Parallel wiring in sound uses both coils independently, so you will get hum canceling single coil tones.  But regardless, humbuckers in series will be louder, so there is going to be a compromise in output.  Unless you wire resistors into the circuit to bring the down the output of a the pickup in series to match the output in the other configurations.  But, now we’re getting into very complex wiring schemes.  You won’t need a super switch, if you wire as above.  Unfortunately, you will have 11 options and only need 4 tops.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: BluesJam on June 19, 2019, 03:47:13 PM ---Another option, use a (1) 3 way switch (1)  volume push/pull blow switch; (1) tone pot push/pull parallel option; and (1) blend pot for the middle pickup.

The 3-way switch controls the full size humbucker options.  The blend will give you all the 5-way tonal options, plus all pickups on together and neck and bridge together options;  plus blow switch.

This would be the optimum simple but most effective setup

--- End quote ---

I only use the bridge, the middle coil and the neck when using distortion (the reason I wanted a pickup in the middle, to get rid of the hum). I only use the pos 2 and 4 on cleans on a HSH config.
I have a HH config guitar with a 3 way switch and I really like the 2 pos/bridge inner and neck inner coil on cleans. Thats why I wanted to install a coil tap/pot switch to get that split sound on a HSH config.

I am not the most techincal when it comes to wiring so pardon me if I am repeating questions :)
My switching option will be too dificult with a pickup in the middle (if I want to split it) If I were to use a true single coil or a pickup in the middle (without splitting it) the EGEN, TAM and my own switching would be possible ? but with the cost of not being humcanceling when using middle coil alone (when true single coil is used) and when coil tap/pot switch is on ?

I'm thinking whether I should just drop the coil tap/pot switch and be fully humcanceling in all 5 positions. Or have 10 different options but be full of noise and hum with the exception of being humcanceling in pos 1 and 5 when coil tap/pot is off.

Did I understand it correctly ? :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version