Dimarzio SDS 1

• 2 Replies

Offline Fender Doll

• View Profile
Dimarzio SDS 1
« on: March 04, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
Hi there again

As the topic suggests I have a question with regards the output of the SDS 1. I've recently been liking the tone Jake E Lee gets with the SDS 1 in the neck and middle positions on his charvel. I have an HSS set up I like with an AT 1 in the bridge which so far I've been really happy with. My question is would the SDS 1 pair reasonably well with the AT 1 as I don't want to overpower the main humbucker in my guitar.

Also I know Jake E Lee uses the Seymour Duncan JB is that hotter or roughly about the same as the AT 1. Please note I'm not looking to replicate anyone's tone but this is how I get my ideas is all!

At the moment I have the HB2 in the neck and middle and I'm not getting exactly what I'm after. I'd like something with just a tad more output and something warmer still than the HB2. I'd like to avoid the rails design because I like the look of the pole piece design so ideally that would be my preference.

As always your thoughts are always appreciated. Thank you.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dimarzio SDS 1
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 04:10:11 AM »
I have both the JB and the AT-1 and their output is similar.

I also have a strat in which I had for quite some time an AT-1 in the bridge and a HB2 in the neck (Injector neck in the middle). To me the output balance was OK but I wanted a bit more bite from the bridge so I switchted to a Norton.

The SDS-1 has a lot more midrange than probably all of the Area series (including Virtual Solo and Injector bridge). Not sure whether there are substantial power differences though. The issue that would scare me off the SDS-1 is that it is not hum-cancelling but that is a personal call.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

BluesJam

Re: Dimarzio SDS 1
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 12:27:34 AM »
The FS1 is a phenomenal pickup and the hum is negligible, I barely hear it in my blues setup.  It’s full, thick and has plenty of upper mids, which I love.  The Edge, Mark Knopfler and The Ramones used them. It’s my favorite pickup, along with the Super Distortion.  I like DiMarzio old-school stuff best.