Anyone have experience with Ibanez Super 70s?

• 4 Replies

Offline HelpImaRock

• View Profile
Anyone have experience with Ibanez Super 70s?
« on: May 27, 2016, 12:43:29 PM »
Last month I bought a 1980 Ibanez Artist with original Super 70 pickups to backup my PRS Custom 24 with Dimarzio Virtual PAFs. I'd like to match the output between both guitars, and the Ibanez is a monster. Raising the VPAFs in the PRS doesn't do enough.

I do have an Air Norton/AT-1 set in a beater Ibanez that I can put into the PRS. I feel like the output will better match the Super 70s, but I'm not sure the tonal profile will match up. I'm also open to buying a set of Super 70s (if I can find them).

Thoughts on how to match up these two incredible instruments?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:45:21 PM by HelpImaRock »

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
Re: Anyone have experience with Ibanez Super 70s?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:06:49 AM »
use your vol pot?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »
No experience with the Super 70s but the AT-1/Air Norton combination will sound quite different from the VPAFs, probably significantly less bright.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline HelpImaRock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 07:43:37 PM »
use your vol pot?

The Ibanez on 5 is the same volume as the PRS on 10. Since I ride the volume anyway, this is more about getting similar range on the pots than anything else.

No experience with the Super 70s but the AT-1/Air Norton combination will sound quite different from the VPAFs, probably significantly less bright.

Cheers Stephan

I'm ok with that. The Super 70s aren't as bright either. I'm more looking for matching power than anything else.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 08:14:04 AM »
Super 70s are PAFS with A8.  My experience with putting A8 in PAFs is the output is HIGH, at least as high as the DIMarzios you're talking about using (At-1/AN) so you're on the right track.  The other thing about A8 PAFs though is you get the high output but still a very PAF tone, so the AN neck is going to be significantly darker than the super 70s.  I'd recommend something like a Deactivator neck if you want some brightness there.