Pro Track or Air Norton S....

• 2 Replies

Offline Butch Snyder

• View Profile
Pro Track or Air Norton S....
« on: February 27, 2016, 12:26:09 PM »
I'm replacing the neck single coil in my HSS Strat and would like to know the differences between these two pickups.  I would like a nice airy, warm pickup with a good PAF vibe but will really sustain.  I need something with a great warm, clean tone; and will sound great under gain.  If I were to go by the DiMarzio site alone, I would probably chose the Air Norton S.

What are your thoughts?
-Butch Snyder

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Pro Track or Air Norton S....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 02:41:45 PM »
I prefer the PT by a mile. The ANS is, to me, way too dark and Ive never been able to get a useble tone out of it. Ive had it in two basswood guitars and above the 12th fret on the top two strings, in a band mix, I cant even hear the notes. Maybe that's just how I set my amps up - I prefer a slightly darker, "browner" bridge tone and a brighter neck tone.

So...between those two Id definitely choose Pro Track.

Offline headcrash

• View Profile
Re: Pro Track or Air Norton S....
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »
Depends on what you want. I have both in the neck of 25.5 scale ash or alder guitars. Both are similar in output level, while the ANS is fuller, darker, more bassy and more middy.
The PT works better for clean and light crunch, does heavy crunch and hi gain fairly well.
The ANS does higain leads so well, it has such a good attack you'd not expect this from it considering it's clean and crunch performance.