Michael Frank Braun designed Strandberg Prog HBs?

• 3 Replies

Offline sveto

• View Profile
Michael Frank Braun designed Strandberg Prog HBs?
« on: April 16, 2021, 02:28:03 PM »
Seeing the other post about MFB, i remembered that i wanted to ask the following.

Which Dimarzio humbucker would be closest to those new Michael Frank Braun designed Strandberg Prog HBs? Jack Gardiner reviews them here:
https://youtu.be/6bUxsgvMUDk

I love the tone - elastic and lively, warm but still crunchy. Would love to know what DiMarzio could achieve that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:02:30 AM by sveto »

Offline mmmguitar

• View Profile
Re: Michael Frank Braun designed Strandberg Fusion HBs?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 09:29:15 PM »
That demo is of the Prog pickups; not the Fusions. The Progs are higher output and voiced brighter than the Fusions, which MFB and myself describe as very much shooting for the Allan Holdsworth tone (pronounced mids, subdued highs).

Per the Strandberg site, the MF Prog Bridge is high output, alnico 5, 13.3k, and wound with 43 formvar. The neck is medium output, alnico 3, 8.7k, and 42 formvar. The only single coil currently sold by Strandberg is the Fusion middle, though I don’t believe that’s what’s being demoed in the video.

Offline sveto

• View Profile
Re: Michael Frank Braun designed Strandberg Prog HBs?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 06:09:32 AM »
Oops, i feel embarrassed... Sorry for the mixup, it's corrected now.

Thanks for the infos, very useful. It pretty much confirms my current tone philosophy of pronounced mids for a fat and singing instrumental tone. Although from what i read on the Strandberg site, the Prog is more of a balanced affair.

But there's no similar DiMarzio HB, is there? Maybe the AT-1 comes closest, tone wise? I felt it has a similar middy tone, but maybe it's wishful thinking.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:40:05 AM by sveto »

Offline mmmguitar

• View Profile
Re: Michael Frank Braun designed Strandberg Prog HBs?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 12:44:11 AM »
Your best bet may be to email Dimarzio with the MF specs, what kind of tone your looking for, and see what Steve suggests. Being as I only have firsthand experience with the Fusions, most of the Dimarzios that demo reminds me of are ceramic.