Mo'Joe & Paf Joe wiring with push-pull pot on Ibanez RG1570 by BL1025 modding

• 2 Replies

sakruh

Hi guys,

Recently I have switched the wiring of my Satriani pickups on my Ibanez RG1570 (HSH pickups) enabling coil tapping with a push-pull tone pot (500K). I used this modding: http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/BL1025mod.pdf

After I changed the wiring, I started to get a static hum. It is not very loud, but considering my previous setup (standard Ibanez HSH configuration) without coil tapping, there is definitely a difference. The noise is cancelled when I:

1) touch any metal parts on my guitar
2) turn the tone knob completely off

And interestingly, single coil pickup configurations are less noisy than humbuckers. This is really strange to me.

It is probably a grounding issue, but I just couldn't figure out what causes this.

Do you guys have any suggestion? Thanks in advance ;)

Edit: BTW, I forgot to mention there is a problem with BL1025 modding in middle position -- it doesn't enable two humbuckers in push position and two single coils in pull position. It just enables the middle pickup alone in both push or pull position. Other configurations are as described in the diagram.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 02:31:06 PM by sakruh »

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
If the problem vanishes when you touch any metal part it's likely a grounding problem. Rather than muck around to find the culprit, I'd honestly just redo the wiring from scratch.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
What Buddroyce said is true, it sounds like a grounding problem. Check your pots wiring. It being more appereant on humbuckers instead of singles has nothing to do with the actual pickup type but tied to it's output, bad wiring will sound worse on higher output pickups then on lower ones, in my experience anyway.

I didn't check the diagram, and it's reasonably hard to figure out what's wrong online except going step by step. I can tell you, however, to check the wires from the pickups to the selector switch, and then double-check the wires you soldered as grounds to the bottom of the pots. It's likely your issue is one of the two.

HTH,
Cory
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:47:41 AM by corypheus »