Humbuckers for telecaster

• 4 Replies

Offline redhabu

• View Profile
Humbuckers for telecaster
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »
So I have two teles, one stock, one w twang kings. The next one will be duel hum. I've always wanted a paf Joe neck pup  for a nice clean and round  glassy tone. The bridge is where I'm still deciding. I love playing instrumental guitar ala satch but also play a lot of early metal like priest, maiden, and 80s stuff. P
Fred and mojo get mixed reviews so was thinking a super d or air zone? Being a Tele and bright already I don't want anything icepicky. Thoughts

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Humbuckers for telecaster
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »
I like the Air Zone best out of the ones you listed. It pairs well with the Paf Joe and has a similar character. They would make a great combo. I also like the Fred a lot too, but did not like the Mo Joe at all. The Super Distortion is great in the right guitar, but not as versatile. I always install the Paf Joe with the cable exit toward the upper horn of the guitar body. It makes a difference.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »
I love dual humbucker teles - good choice!

The Super Distortion could work but I found that in some guitars it accentuates a sizzle in the higher frequencies so if your guitar is bright already it may be too much.

My favorite DiMarzio bridge humbucker to fatten up brighter guitars is the AT-1. Totally takes away any ice pick and has lots of warm fat midrange. Of the other ones you mentioned I played the Fred (but that was many years ago and in a totally different guitar) which I found similar to the PAF Pro both in output and tone - maybe a touch more mids. Another alternative could be the Breed bridge if you want something darker.

Cheers Stephan
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:28:38 AM by darkbluemurder »
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:57:22 AM »
Dimarzio once suggested a Dimarzio Norton/Dimarzio 36th anniversary PAF neck set for my dual humbucking Tele guitar. Sounds great and quite versatile too

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »
I've got a dual humbucker Tele loaded up with EJ Customs that I love. They give a nice variation to my other dual humbucker guitars and 3SC Strats.