What is the PAF Pro like in a Les Paul?

• 5 Replies

Offline 357mag

• View Profile
What is the PAF Pro like in a Les Paul?
« on: March 17, 2017, 06:32:36 PM »
I'm on the search for some better sounding neck pickups in my Les Paul. Currently I'm using the Duncan '59 which sounds good underneath the treble, but crappy under the bass because it's way too bassy and woofy.

I ordered a Dimarzio PAF Pro since I read very favorable things about it.

I'm gonna try a few others too like maybe the Humbucker From Hell, and perhaps the Full Shred or Duncan Distortion.

Anyone here have any experience with the PAF Pro in the neck?

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: What is the PAF Pro like in a Les Paul?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:28:34 PM »
I haven't tried it in a LP, but I think it would work well. Like a Duncan 59n, it could be boomy in the wrong Les Paul. Humbucker from Hell can be a bit stiff and underpowered in a LP. Full Shred Neck works well in a LP. You might try the PAF Joe for something between the PAF Pro's woofiness and the HFH's lack of power.

Offline 357mag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 02:22:16 AM »
How about the famous Super Distortion in the bridge? I tried the Strat version many years ago and from what I remember, it had a buzzy sound to it. Don't know why. And millions of players have used that pickup including famous guitar players.

If anyone has used it in the bridge please post your observations.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:50:11 PM »
Super Distortion in the bridge and Super 2 in the neck is a great combo. Keep in mind they are made for rock. They are higher output ceramics, which may be what you are hearing as "buzzy". If you want warmer and smoother, go with the 36th set.

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:41:39 AM »
I'm on the search for some better sounding neck pickups in my Les Paul. Currently I'm using the Duncan '59 which sounds good underneath the treble, but crappy under the bass because it's way too bassy and woofy.

I ordered a Dimarzio PAF Pro since I read very favorable things about it.

I'm gonna try a few others too like maybe the Humbucker From Hell, and perhaps the Full Shred or Duncan Distortion.

Anyone here have any experience with the PAF Pro in the neck?

Yes, in a Les Paul, even. Up high it is clear and open sounding, but down low it is definitely woofy. If you are having this problem with a 59, PAF Pro is not the answer.

Fortunately Dimarzio has another great pickup that is very similar to the PP and solves this problem -- the Breed Neck. The specs are deceptive. The Breed Neck has the same basic tone as the PP except with a bright edge that really works well in the neck and keeps it from getting woofy. It is a great pickup for getting both vintage and modern sounds, but not modern in the vein of Air Norton or Liquifire (which I don't care for). More like it stays crunchy in milk by still getting PAF sounds at any level of gain (clean to insane).

It's on my short list of favorite neck buckers.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 05:50:57 PM »
Super Distortion in the bridge and Super 2 in the neck is a great combo. Keep in mind they are made for rock. They are higher output ceramics, which may be what you are hearing as "buzzy". If you want warmer and smoother, go with the 36th set.

the Super 2 was one of the earliest neck pups I tried when looking to tame a Les Paul neck.  yeah, it's definitely made for rock.  lol!  the Humbucker From Hell addressed the boomy low end, but I still wanted something just a little different, so the Super 2 was next.  it has a place, but it just wasn't my preference in the LP neck.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram