Should I swap my Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates neck pup for a DiMarzio Liquifire?

• 5 Replies

Offline FerMetalhead1

• View Profile
Hi everyone! I have a modified economic version of the Washburn Nuno Bettencourt signature guitar, made out of BASSWOOD, but with a MAPLE/ROSEWOOD neck/fretboard. I wanted this guitar to be a perfect axe for rock/metal, but with a touch of versatility.

It formerly had a six point tremolo, but I modified it and change it for a Schaller FR type tremolo. I changed the bridge pickup, too.

It used to have a SD 59/Custom Hybrid, but I changed it for a DiMarzio Super Distortion due to lack of power, now my axe really rocks! I haven't changed the neck pickup, a SD Pearly Gates, because I'm pretty much happy with its warmness and fullness in lower frequencies, but it's a bit too bright for my taste in higher frequencies, though. I use it mainly for hi-gain metal guitar solos, but I tend to use it for cleaner stuff like chord strumming.

I was considering swapping it for a DiMarzio LiquiFire pup since I heard really good reviews about it in terms of hi-gain soloing, but I'm afraid I could lose some versatility if I do it. However, I don't mind losing some clarity in higher frequencies. What do you think? I'm open to suggestions, mainly in Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
I love the Pearly Gates but I always found it to be more of a Rock/Hard Rock/Blues Rock pickup. The Liquifire is a tried and true metal/shred lead pickup. If high gain soloing is what you're after you won't go with the Liquifire because that's what it does. You won't lose that much versatility really if anything you might just need to back off on the volume to reduce the output for lower gain applications.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If high gain soloing is what you're after you won't go with the Liquifire because that's what it does.

I guess you meant to say "you won't go wrong with the Liquifire".

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
I guess you meant to say "you won't go wrong with the Liquifire".

Cheers Stephan

You got that right!
Follow me on Twitter

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
I did not think I was going to like the Liquifire since people often compare it to the Air Norton, and I thought the Air Norton was a mud puddle. I found the liquifire & Crunch Lab set used really cheap and tried it in an older basswood RG. The Liquifire is a fantastic neck pickup. Perfect for high gain solos. Where the PAF Pro can have sort of ice-picky highs and flubby bass, the Liquifire is more balanced.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
I did not think I was going to like the Liquifire since people often compare it to the Air Norton, and I thought the Air Norton was a mud puddle. I found the liquifire & Crunch Lab set used really cheap and tried it in an older basswood RG. The Liquifire is a fantastic neck pickup. Perfect for high gain solos. Where the PAF Pro can have sort of ice-picky highs and flubby bass, the Liquifire is more balanced.

I have to admit. After using the Air Norton and PAF Pro for years, the LiquiFire really did become one of my favourite neck pickups. The LF+CL set is still one of my most recommended pickup combos.
Follow me on Twitter