All purpose pups for HH guitar

• 7 Replies

Offline iliekwierdstrats

• View Profile
All purpose pups for HH guitar
« on: November 26, 2016, 11:20:26 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum (this is my first post) and I've been looking to put new pickups in my guitar. It's an Ibanez with an OFR (I switched out the edge 3 with it) and HH routing. I currently have Dimarzio Evolutions in it, as I used to be a metal only guy (evo's came with the guitar).

As I've gotten older however, I've found that I like to play more jazz and fusion in addition to metal, so I feel lower output pickups would suit my needs better. I've been looking at different pups, like the EJ Classic and the Bluesbucker, which I've heard have very interesting sounds. Does anyone have experience with them? What are some versatile pups that you would suggest that sound great from sparkly Fender clean to high-gain Marshall JCM800?

Thanks in advance!

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Re: All purpose pups for HH guitar
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:32:27 AM »
If you like a versatile bridge pickup, PAF Pro or Norton might do it. For the neck, I would suggest PAF Pro, Air Norton, or 36th anniversary PAF neck

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 10:33:54 AM »
Air Zone and PAF Pro.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 05:33:35 AM »
I've been looking at different pups, like the EJ Classic and the Bluesbucker, which I've heard have very interesting sounds. Does anyone have experience with them?

With the Bluesbucker, yes. I used it in the neck spot only so far but it works well there, especially in guitars with 24 fret necks. The asset that differentiates it from all other humbuckers is its split sound, which is almost as loud as the humbucker sound and not thin at all. When you use it that way be sure that you have a load close to 250k to it, otherwise it will be quite bright split. However, for the full humbucking mode, 500k pots work better, so it is best to add a 470k resistor in the single coil mode.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »
I love the bluesbucker in the neck position. That paired up with a Norton or AT-1 would work great. The Air Zone, Tone Zone or Transition in the brige would also work if you want your bridge pickup to have a bigger thicker tone.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 08:17:48 AM »
AT-1 in the bridge and Bluesbucker in the neck work very well indeed.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline iliekwierdstrats

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 01:55:46 PM »
So far, I plan on going with the bluesbucker in the neck with the screwcoil facing the fretboard. I'm not sure about what bridge to pair it with yet, but I'm looking for something that has a nice split sound (so that in the middle position I get a noise cancelling, almost teleish tone when both pups are split) and has a nice balance of body and clarity in humbucking mode for playing higher up the board.

Offline iliekwierdstrats

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 01:59:11 PM »
However, for the full humbucking mode, 500k pots work better, so it is best to add a 470k resistor in the single coil mode.

Cheers Stephan

How do I do this?