DP182 Bridge, DP184 Neck; what for middle?

• 5 Replies

Offline Emopunk

• View Profile
DP182 Bridge, DP184 Neck; what for middle?
« on: November 13, 2015, 03:58:05 AM »
I have the config in title, with a Fender factory single coil in the middle position. I mainly play alternative rock. Should I leave it like that, or think about another pup to complete the setup? I have rosewood fretboard. Thanks.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: DP182 Bridge, DP184 Neck; what for middle?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »
Do you like the sound of the middle pickup? Or if not, what don't you like?
It's easier to recommend something if we know what's wrong with your current setup.

Offline Emopunk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 02:57:52 AM »
Do you like the sound of the middle pickup? Or if not, what don't you like?
It's easier to recommend something if we know what's wrong with your current setup.
Thanks, one point is being the sc not noiseless. The other one is it has less output compared to the other two. Concerning the sound in itself, I have to confess that it's pretty good in itself.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 04:23:21 AM »
DP182 - Fast track 2
DP184 - Chopper

Outputwise a Chopper or Satch Track should fill the bill.

A more stratty sounding alternative would be the Cruiser but that one has low ouput.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Emopunk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 04:36:53 AM »
DP182 - Fast track 2
DP184 - Chopper

Outputwise a Chopper or Satch Track should fill the bill.

A more stratty sounding alternative would be the Cruiser but that one has low ouput.

Cheers Stephan
Thanks; would the installation of another chopper make me lose the twang on pos. 2 and 4 of the 5-way switch?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 04:32:41 AM »
would the installation of another chopper make me lose the twang on pos. 2 and 4 of the 5-way switch?

Potentially yes, that's why I qualified the match as being "output-wise". If you want to keep the twang in positions 2 and 4 the existing pickup may be well suited if you auto-split the bridge and neck humbuckers in these positions.

It is rather difficult to meet these criteria while at the same time having a noiseless middle pickup - that would entail that you use a noiseless middle pickup which will also be split in positions 2 and 4, and the magnetic polarity must be opposite to the active coils of the neck / bridge pickups. A pickup that could do this would be the Injector neck. Best to contact DiMarzio whether for this set up it should be reverse wound/reverse polarity or not. You will definitely need a 24-pole 5-way switch (aka super switch) to make this all happen.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b