Difference between VV '54 Pro & VV Blues

• 3 Replies

Offline Mr. Aguia

• View Profile
Difference between VV '54 Pro & VV Blues
« on: March 13, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »
Want to replace the single coil in my '87 Ibanez 550. When I use the middle pickup I use it split quite a bit so I want something that splits well. I have a couple of the VV Heavy Blues 2 & I love them but I hate getting the same pickup. Kind of defeats the purpose of having multiple guitars. Needs to be high enough output to partner with the humbuckers. I don't like the glassy really bright typical single coils. Thoughts?
PAF Pro, Evolution, Super Distortion, Super Distortin 2, Injector, Vitual Vintage Heavy Blues 2

Offline daenius

• View Profile
Re: Difference between VV '54 Pro & VV Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:46:34 AM »
Never tried the VV blues but I have the VV 54s. They have a very sweet top end and not too trebly, but definitely has that classic single coil sound. I run them in the neck and bridge, and I have an Area 58 in the middle.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 05:37:29 AM »
Maybe try the Injectors?

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 01:36:06 AM »
Want to replace the single coil in my '87 Ibanez 550. When I use the middle pickup I use it split quite a bit so I want something that splits well. I have a couple of the VV Heavy Blues 2 & I love them but I hate getting the same pickup. Kind of defeats the purpose of having multiple guitars. Needs to be high enough output to partner with the humbuckers. I don't like the glassy really bright typical single coils. Thoughts?

Both of them are warm. With 500k pots, the 54 will sound about as bright as a typical single coil would with 250k pots. The Blues is probably the warmest single that still sounds like a single. Based on what you said, I would recommend the Blues. It should have enough output -- I think the Heavy Blues could be overkill and maybe too dark, but YMMV.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL