Humbuckers for a mahogany ibby

• 8 Replies

Offline crispin

• View Profile
Humbuckers for a mahogany ibby
« on: February 26, 2017, 10:12:42 AM »
.o/ Hello there, newbie over here :)

So, my "older" ibanez RGA32 still plays really nicely, but the actives that came with it (Loz3) are rather... underwhelming. Might have to do with me buying it in the middle of my metalcore phase lol, which has since petered out significantly in favor of some more balanced sounds (Timmons, Sfogli, Gilbert, Satch, the usual). So I'm looking for some new humbuckers to put in my baby.

guitar: Ibanez RGA32 MOL, Mahogany body, Maple neck + rosewood fretboard.

while I do still play a bit of high-gain stuff, I absolutely adore the tone Timmons gets from his rig. Replicating that with this guitar isn't gonna happen anytime soon, but going for a more balanced tone overall should be a reachable goal, right?

Was considering the AT-1 for the bridge. Since they mentioned it being designed for a mahogany guitar I figured it might sound okay.

As for the neck pickup, I'm nowhere near certain. I've considered among others  the HfH, the Air Norton, the PAF Pro, the PAF 36th, but can't really seem to decide whether any of those would go well with the AT-1.  I love the singlecoil sound of a stratocaster with a clean tone, but for versatility's sake I guess it'd be better to go for a bucker that works well with either a parallel or split and then work with that?

Let alone if the general consensus ends up being not to go with the AT-1, that'd throw a wrench in the whole combination plan regardless :P

So yeah, I'd really appreciate some help with this :)

tl;dr: Mahogany guitar w/ maple neck, versatile pickups required. Am Indecisive and a little bit of knowledge is always a lot more dangerous than having a bunch or none at all. wat do?

e: mailed DiMarzio tech and they suggested a set of Transitions, lmao more choices ain't helping.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:09:08 PM by crispin »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Humbuckers for a mahogany ibby
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 04:01:47 AM »
AT-1 is a great pickup, especially for brighter sounding guitars.

Of the pickups you mentioned for the neck position I played the Air Norton, which is quite dark, and various PAF types (even though not the 36th Anniversary) which were too dark for my taste as well. Currently I use a Bluesbucker together with the AT-1 which works quite well and splits well.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline garrettj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 06:08:08 PM »
AT-1 in bridge, air Norton neck.

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 11:18:51 PM »
Air Classic is what came to mind first, especially since you mentioned Paul Gilbert. For most of his Silence Followed album he used dual Air Classics. I think it is the most versatile neck humbucker Dimarzio makes, and it isn't just a jack of all trades, but a master of pretty much everything. Output-wise it will be a perfect match for the AT-1.

Bluesbucker would also be a great choice. Very versatile, one of my favorites.

I'm not a fan of the Air Norton in the neck. It's a more nasal, smoother, modern sound than I like. I like the rounder bell tone with a bright edge. Air Norton doesn't really do that.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 01:25:09 AM »
The 36th anniversary PAF neck would be good too. In fact, I plan to install a AT-1/36th anniversary PAF neck combo when I do get the guitar I'm aiming for

Offline crispin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 04:20:25 PM »
So, after quickly shooting the DiMarzio tech department a message (kudos to them on the speedy reply!), they suggested a set of dual Transitions, saying the AT-1 might be a bit too organic and smooth for this, and the extra power and clarity would be nice to have?

I don't even know anymore, it seems like instead of narrowing it down, it just keeps getting harder hah. Guess that's part of the process eh?

Of the pickups you mentioned for the neck position I played the Air Norton, which is quite dark, and various PAF types (even though not the 36th Anniversary) which were too dark for my taste as well. Currently I use a Bluesbucker together with the AT-1 which works quite well and splits well.

Cheers Stephan

yeah, I was expecting to really like the sound of the Air Norton, but the bits I've heard on Youtube sounded very hit or miss. The Bluesbucker is an interesting suggestion though, definitely something I didn't consider before but will look at this further!

The problem I have with the Air Norton is that half the clips on youtube sound fine (for youtube videos, anyway), and others sound very ... idk, fuzzy?

Air Classic is what came to mind first, especially since you mentioned Paul Gilbert. For most of his Silence Followed album he used dual Air Classics. I think it is the most versatile neck humbucker Dimarzio makes, and it isn't just a jack of all trades, but a master of pretty much everything. Output-wise it will be a perfect match for the AT-1.

I'm not a fan of the Air Norton in the neck. It's a more nasal, smoother, modern sound than I like. I like the rounder bell tone with a bright edge. Air Norton doesn't really do that.

The Air classic is definitely one I've missed! Silence had some really good tones too. tbh I was expecting to narrow the choice down but so far for every pickup that leaves the selection, a new one joins the fray haha.

The 36th anniversary PAF neck would be good too. In fact, I plan to install a AT-1/36th anniversary PAF neck combo when I do get the guitar I'm aiming for

That sounds interesting o: just out of curiosity, what guitar is it that you're gunning for?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:22:47 PM by crispin »

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 10:39:29 PM »
So, after quickly shooting the DiMarzio tech department a message (kudos to them on the speedy reply!), they suggested a set of dual Transitions, saying the AT-1 might be a bit too organic and smooth for this, and the extra power and clarity would be nice to have?

I don't even know anymore, it seems like instead of narrowing it down, it just keeps getting harder hah. Guess that's part of the process eh?

Cheers Stephan

yeah, I was expecting to really like the sound of the Air Norton, but the bits I've heard on Youtube sounded very hit or miss. The Bluesbucker is an interesting suggestion though, definitely something I didn't consider before but will look at this further!

The problem I have with the Air Norton is that half the clips on youtube sound fine (for youtube videos, anyway), and others sound very ... idk, fuzzy?

The Air classic is definitely one I've missed! Silence had some really good tones too. tbh I was expecting to narrow the choice down but so far for every pickup that leaves the selection, a new one joins the fray haha.

That sounds interesting o: just out of curiosity, what guitar is it that you're gunning for?

Not this one in particular, but the same model and colour

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 07:22:11 AM »
No experience with the Transition set but I think buddroyce has written an excellent review about them in the "Everything you wanted to know" section.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline crispin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »
No experience with the Transition set but I think buddroyce has written an excellent review about them in the "Everything you wanted to know" section.

Cheers Stephan

Yeah, that review was pretty good. Sounds like a good versatile pickup, although I wonder if they do harmonics as well as the AT-1. Guess I'll ask Budd about that :P

Not this one in particular, but the same model and colour

That's a pretty sweet looking axe, tbh.