New PickUps for my HSS Guitar

• 3 Replies

Dr.Momsen

New PickUps for my HSS Guitar
« on: November 17, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »
Hello,

i just bought a Fender Modern Player Telecaster. Its my first Telecaster and have to admit i am getting to like it more and more.

Unfortunately the Pickups are nothing compared to my other guitars. As this is my first guitar with a HSS SetupUp, or even my first guitar with a singlecoil, your guys help is urgently needed :)

First of all, i intend to play mostly Rock/Hard Rock/Metal with this Guitar. Right now i am playing allot of the Foo Fighters, GreenDay, Nirvana, RATM, etc.
One of my other Guitars is a Ibanez with a Crunchlab/LiquiFire combo, and i am loving it!

So after some research this is the Setup i came up with:

Bridge:  Titan or The Tone Zone
Middle: Area61 or Air Norton S
Neck: Area T or Twang King

What do you guys think? I really like the Titan from what i heard so far but i am afraid that it might be to much.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: New PickUps for my HSS Guitar
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »
Tone Zone is great in a basswood RG, Area 61 is great in a strat. I don't know how well either would work in a tele body. I've never used either of your neck choices. The Paf Joe, and Paf Pro go well with the Tone Zone.

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 02:38:33 AM »
Mrs Momsen,

Personally I'd go with the AT-1 for the things you listed. Basswood teles are pretty thin and usually pretty light (my two are anyway) so it's probably better to have something with reasonable amount of low range tones, yet the guitars are also breathy a bit so I wouldn't put something too powerful inside either, just something balanced, medium - and to my ears that's AT-1.

TZ is undoubtedly going to sound good as well, always does in basswood, and Titan is going to be tighter and more modern sounding... - you didn't say what kind of amp you're using, if it's a high gain amp, imo both are overkill for what you need it for. In case it's something like an 800 gainwise, I'd pick a TZ.

Middle and Neck, I'd go with a Satchtrack, there's just imo no better singlecoil sized humbucker in the Dimarzio line for these two positions. If you don't like the association with Satriani etc, cruiser in the middle sounds really good too, and Air Norton S in the neck for those tones as well.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:19:48 AM by corypheus »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »
The problem with that tele neck pickup is that it is going to be overpowered with all the choices you listed for the bridge humbucker. The Area T neck is very low output, as are most tele neck pickups. The only "loud" tele neck pickup that comes to mind is the SD Tele Hot Rails but I have never played one and cannot comment on the tone. I would convert to either a strat style or mini humbucker pickup.

Middle pickup: Area 61 should be fine, especially if you intend to use it together with the split bridge pickup.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b