It's about time...

• 7 Replies

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
It's about time...
« on: November 13, 2015, 03:21:33 PM »
....to wrap up some projects I've had sitting in my closet for the past few years. These pups are going to finally have homes.

The 36th and EJs are standard but all the single coils have flush magnets while the cream ones on the right have no flange for a TITE route Charvel style body.

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
Re: It's about time...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:31:29 AM »
That's a nice bunch of good tones all in one place. I never tried EJ Customs myself and sorely wish I had, I've heard so much good stuff about them, specially the neck.

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 03:27:17 PM »
The Area 67 and PAF are tried and true for me so nothing new there. I've tried an Injector neck in the bridge and it works fine as a beefier Strat pickup. It was actually to replace a VV 54 Pro. The Injector bridge is the next step up for me because I want to stay in the "true" single coil design (no bar magnets).

I'm putting in the EJ Customs in a Charvel Tele because I wanted something more single-coil like without getting a new body.

I still want to try some Bluesbuckers but I need to pick a guitar for that.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:48:22 PM »
The Area 67 and PAF are tried and true for me so nothing new there. I've tried an Injector neck in the bridge and it works fine as a beefier Strat pickup. It was actually to replace a VV 54 Pro. The Injector bridge is the next step up for me because I want to stay in the "true" single coil design (no bar magnets).

I'm putting in the EJ Customs in a Charvel Tele because I wanted something more single-coil like without getting a new body.

I still want to try some Bluesbuckers but I need to pick a guitar for that.

Humbucker from Hell in the neck position would be strat like  8)

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 10:16:44 PM »
eh, I've tried an HfH in the neck and it wasn't right for me. Sure didn't sound like a Strat. Besides I'm not shooting for a Strat tone.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 05:21:03 AM »
eh, I've tried an HfH in the neck and it wasn't right for me. Sure didn't sound like a Strat. Besides I'm not shooting for a Strat tone.

Oh ok. Perhaps it was a combination of guitar and amp that didn't result in a strat single coil type of tone. Sure does sound very similar in one of my guitars  8)

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 07:56:06 AM »
I had the HfH in an Ibanez PGM301 going through a Fractal Audio Axe FX Ultra feeding a pair of powered studio monitors. I wasn't the amp and i doubt it was the guitar. The HfH is bright but compared to something like an Area 67 it's nothing like a single coil to my ears.

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 10:43:38 AM »
Also, I should have said that I was looking for something brighter and twangier than standard humbuckers when it came to the EJ Customs. I know they won't sound like single coils but I hope they will give me something in between PAFs and Area 67s that I like.