HSS guitar with Tone Zone and your suggestions ?

• 1 Replies

Offline jdl

• View Profile
HSS guitar with Tone Zone and your suggestions ?
« on: November 03, 2020, 04:08:18 AM »
Howdy-Ho!

Im picking up a '92 Ibanez RG560 for a steal. It already has a Tone Zone in the bridge but still the original S1s in middle and neck. Id like to upgrade at least one of the single coils now, perhaps both later as $$ permits. I haven't had an HSS guitar in ages so I'm looking to try and get a nice fat strat type sound out of the neck/middle positions.
What would you suggest ? If I get one True Velvet now where would you recommend: middle or neck ?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated !

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: HSS guitar with Tone Zone and your suggestions ?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 10:03:49 AM »
I would first play the guitar once it arrives and see whether you like the Tone Zone in the bridge. The Tone Zone has mega output - any single coil will be quite a bit lower in output, even something like an Injector neck (which would be my choice to pair with a humbucker as it has more output than a vintage type single coil such as the True Velvet and works with 500k volume pots, which you will need with a humbucker as hot as the Tone Zone).

I am not at all familiar with the S1 pickups - no idea how they sound or how much output they have.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b