Advice for pairing with a Virtual Hot PAF (DP214) in a HH Superstrat

• 14 Replies

Offline sunvalleylaw

• View Profile
I have a Virtual Hot PAF dp214 I bought from a guy a long time ago and never did anything with it.  I am finally going to use it in a HH superstrat build.  I don't think it is F spaced, but I am not thinking I am worried about that based on what I have read. 

I am looking to end up with a kind of Rivers Cuomo-esque sounding guitar.  So, was thinking of putting the Humbucker from Hell in the neck.  The VH PAF seems to be just slightly hotter than the Seymour Duncan Trembucker '59 Rivers had in his guitar, but not too much, and again, I am not that worried about it being a full tribute guitar or anything.  Just want to make sure it will work ok. 

Any advice would be appreciated.  If you want to suggest a different neck pickup, feel free also, and please tell me why you make your suggestion. 

Thanks!   :)

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Personally I would go with either a bluesbucker for more of that P90 vibe, a PAF 36th for more of a classic feel or the PAF Master neck if you wanted something with a bit more output but still wanted to retain the classic PAF tone.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
I used the Virtual Hot PAF in a strat for years. It was really bright, so I ran it and the single coils with a 300k volume pot. The HFH might be a good match for it. With the 300k pot, the Vhot has nice chewy mids. The Fred might be an interesting pickup to pair with it as a neck pickup. If you want a standard neck PAF, the 36th would probably balance with it well too.

Offline sunvalleylaw

• View Profile
Thanks guys.  Hey, mine does not appear to be F spaced.  It will be going into a Fender Blacktop Strat HH.  Do you guys think it is a big deal for it not to be F spaced?

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Hell no. It makes zero difference.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Mine wasn't F-spaced either. I never noticed a problem.

Offline sunvalleylaw

• View Profile
Thanks guys.  Just going to roll with it and enjoy.  Excited for the project.  Just struck a deal on a good used Fender Blacktop HH Strat to use as my modding base.  Should be fun!

Offline HelpImaRock

• View Profile
Thanks guys.  Just going to roll with it and enjoy.  Excited for the project.  Just struck a deal on a good used Fender Blacktop HH Strat to use as my modding base.  Should be fun!

DON'T DO IT  :P

Offline sunvalleylaw

• View Profile

Hi there fancy seeing you here. ;-) do you mean use that pick up, or is this more about your traditional dislike of strats? 

Offline HelpImaRock

• View Profile

Hi there fancy seeing you here. ;-) do you mean use that pick up, or is this more about your traditional dislike of strats? 

#fuqastrat  :madness:

Offline rknrollo

• View Profile
Re: Advice for pairing with a Virtual Hot PAF (DP214) in a HH Superstrat
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 12:09:40 AM »
EJ custom works great in the neck pup, if you add a treble bleed 0.001mf cap it makes a world of difference, if you flip the mag in your neck pup it will give you massive quack in the middle and 2-4 pos, especially split.

Offline sunvalleylaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 05:53:50 PM »
Well, I ordered and received one of the Humbuckers from Hell for the neck.  Plan on installing it this weekend if time allows.  We'll see if it works for me.  If not, I will gladly look at one of the others suggested.  Thanks all.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 04:09:46 AM »
The Virtual Hot PAF is a great pickup - love mine in my strat together with a VV54 Pro in the middle and an Area 67 in the neck.

Never played a HFH but that should be a nice combination.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline sunvalleylaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »

Mis-matched knobs are intentional.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 06:45:32 PM »
If you want the HFH tighter, remove the 3 poles under the bass strings on the neck side coil. 

For brighter/more output, replace the A5 with ceramic (you'll remove 1 of the 2 spacers).