Fast track 2 (br) + middle single coil=hum?

• 8 Replies

Offline Emopunk

• View Profile
Fast track 2 (br) + middle single coil=hum?
« on: September 22, 2015, 01:17:48 PM »
I just noticed I get hum when the selector is on position 2, namely Fast track 2 (br) + middle single coil. Is it a normal thing or there's possibly something wrong in the connections? Thanks

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fast track 2 (br) + middle single coil=hum?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 01:42:53 PM »
If the middle single coil is a single coil, i.e. a pickup that has only one coil and no hum-cancelling construction, then the hum in the combined position is normal. However, if it's a hum-cancelling model, there should not be any hum, unless you split either of the pickups in the combined setting.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Emopunk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 01:54:52 PM »
If the middle single coil is a single coil, i.e. a pickup that has only one coil and no hum-cancelling construction, then the hum in the combined position is normal. However, if it's a hum-cancelling model, there should not be any hum, unless you split either of the pickups in the combined setting.

Cheers Stephan

It is indeed a standard Fender single coil. I have a split toggle for the FT2 but it seems the hum is staying even if I split the pickup. Is it possible? (I will check again this statement ASAP)

Offline Emopunk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 03:17:15 PM »
I just checked and pos. 2 is indeed humming even when FT2 is split. The same when I have bridge split+ neck (again a standard fender SC). Does it mean I should reverse phase on the FT2?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:43:04 PM by Emopunk »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 03:52:08 AM »
Even the FT-2 split plus the Fender single coil may hum together if the magnetic polarity of the coils are the same. Reversing the phase in itself will not get you there - you need to wire the FT-2 so that the other coil stays active in split mode.

If you have wired it as per the instructions (i.e. red to hot, green to ground, white and black to split) you need to swap red with black and green with white so that the wiring looks black to hot, white to ground and red and green to split.

Since the coils on the FT-2 are so close together the tonal change should be minimal.

Good luck,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Emopunk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:32:27 AM »
Even the FT-2 split plus the Fender single coil may hum together if the magnetic polarity of the coils are the same. Reversing the phase in itself will not get you there - you need to wire the FT-2 so that the other coil stays active in split mode.

If you have wired it as per the instructions (i.e. red to hot, green to ground, white and black to split) you need to swap red with black and green with white so that the wiring looks black to hot, white to ground and red and green to split.

Since the coils on the FT-2 are so close together the tonal change should be minimal.

Good luck,
Stephan

What if I would wire the FT2 on my push/pull for series/parallel? Would it be a better option?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 04:06:44 AM »
Not if you want the combination setting to be humcancelling. Bridge in parallel mode has two active coils humbucking. Add another coil and it's humming again. Tonally it may be worthwile for the bridge in parallel sound alone.

Cheers Stephan
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:32:59 AM by darkbluemurder »

Offline Emopunk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 06:04:33 AM »
Not if you want the combination setting to be humcancelling. Bridge in parallel mode has two active coils humbucking. Add another coil and it's humming again. Tonally it may be worthwile for the bridge in parallel sound alone.

Cheers Stephan

I actually was not bothered by hum. So this is what I did in the end; FT2 bridge with p/p for series parallel, Fender original single coil in the middle with no tone control on it, Chopper neck with p/p for series parallel. I have to admit for both Di Marzio PUs, the sound is lovely for both series and parallel options. Maybe the one I like the less is FT2 in series, but that is probably because my whole set of pots is 250k. Would it improve if I would change the bridge tone pot to a 500k one?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 03:56:33 AM »
So this is what I did in the end; FT2 bridge with p/p for series parallel, Fender original single coil in the middle with no tone control on it, Chopper neck with p/p for series parallel.

Good choice.

I have to admit for both Di Marzio PUs, the sound is lovely for both series and parallel options. Maybe the one I like the less is FT2 in series, but that is probably because my whole set of pots is 250k. Would it improve if I would change the bridge tone pot to a 500k one?

That would make both the series and the parallel mode of the FT-2 a bit brighter, depending on the tone capacitor value you use.

Cheers Stephan