Chrome vs Nickel covers on Twang King neck

• 3 Replies

paladin2019

Chrome vs Nickel covers on Twang King neck
« on: September 27, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »
Hi all,

I've got a bit of an odd problem. I've ordered a Twang King tele neck pickup online and sent it back because the finish was clearly nickel, and not chrome. I'm not even sure that polished nickel is an option for buying this pickup. When I was sent a replacement from the retailer it was nickel as well.

Both pickups were packaged and labelled as being chrome, and on on of them the ground wire from the cover was missing (the cover wasn't wired to anything). Thinking maybe I was being paranoid I color-matched the covers up against the hardware of my tele and my les paul - surprise surprise, the covers looked dark and yellow next to the chrome hardware on the tele and just right next to the nickel les paul.

I'm no metallurgist. Is DM's chrome known for being darker and yellower than most? Could I have encountered a batch issue? This is my first DM pickup and it's not creating a good impression, even before I wire it up!

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Chrome vs Nickel covers on Twang King neck
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 01:52:04 AM »
Sounds like you should talk to DiMarzio about it. Email them at either [email protected] or [email protected]. They are very helpful and quick to respond, usually within 24 hrs.

paladin2019

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 01:34:17 PM »
Got a reply from them, and it seems that maybe I was being a little harsh. The acknowledge that there's a noticeable colour difference between my pickup and the rest of the chrome hardware on the guitar, but this is apparently a known issue with their unusual plating process.

They use a different method because it is supposed to sound better. I can make a barely noticeable aesthetic sacrifice if it means I don't have to live with a muddy tele neck pickup any more!

Offline eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 12:47:16 AM »
Howdy,

You are going to love the TKs, Paladin. I've a set of TKs in my Mahogany Tele and they're fantastic for everything from the Streets of Bakersfield to Exiles on Main Street! (forgive me for showing my age, LOL!).