your first guitar idol?

• 49 Replies

alfaromeo90

your first guitar idol?
« on: September 15, 2009, 05:59:14 PM »
hey guys, who was your first favorite guitarist?

before i played guitar = john frusciante

when i started = eddie van halen

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
Re: your first guitar idol?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:25:50 AM »
I'll come clean as a big follower of Tom DeLonge  at first.  Then when I started playing it was John Frusciante.  Right now I'm a pretty big fan of Bumblefoot and Mick Ronson
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 08:32:10 PM »
Jimi Hendrix.

Still is.

For a time a few years ago, I was way into Vai and Satch. Not so much anymore. I still dig Satch's music, and the occasional Vai is fun, but I'm done with shredding.

But now I'm also a bigger fan of The Edge from U2, Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead, and David Gilmour.

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:23:02 AM »
You just reminded me, Nick.  I've been having an obsession with Robin Finck. He's  unfortunately been in an unfair position in the media but he is under rated and really has a great feel and sense of melody kinda like a ballsier Gilmour or a more refined Slash

joelmo

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 03:04:42 PM »
hi again
when i started it was brian molko from placebo(unusual ahhh).
now there are satch, greg howe and rory gallgher.

alfaromeo90

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 03:55:50 PM »
thanks, i think it's interesting to look back on your first idols and try to figure out what initially attracted you to guitar.  If you find that your playing is in a rut or gone down a path you no longer like, it's an interesting exercise to go back to your first idols or pre-playing idols and try to get a bit of their playing or tone.  Kind of like a new start.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 07:02:13 PM »
Ahh yes.. the guitar idols. My first idol wasn't Hendrix or Page, but rather it was actually Yngwie Malmsteen, he was actually the person to get me to start playing guitar. Believe it or not, I actually started working in a guitar shop before I even knew a thing about guitars or even had any interest in them. Back before downloading movies was even feasible popular over a decade ago we used to have a VHS demo tape of a whole bunch of guitar instructional videos and I would just watch them while I was working on guitars (yes I was working on guitars before I knew how to properly hold one). One of the videos we demo'd was actually Yngwie's Young Guitar videos and after seeing him demo his tunes and break down his technique a couple million times, it started to grow on me and I just had to get a guitar to play. From then on it went to your typical shred guys as well as guys like Mattias Eklundh, Michael Romeo and  Bumblefoot (before his GnR days....waaaaay before..).

Oddly enough I never had a keen interest in the more mainstream idols like Hendrix, Page, Frusciante or Slash, but that's probably because when you work in a guitar store BEFORE you start digging the music, you start to hate all the stuff all the teenagers that come to the store liked and ended up gravitating towards the heavier stuff some of the older guys were into.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 03:36:11 PM »
thanks, i think it's interesting to look back on your first idols and try to figure out what initially attracted you to guitar.  If you find that your playing is in a rut or gone down a path you no longer like, it's an interesting exercise to go back to your first idols or pre-playing idols and try to get a bit of their playing or tone.  Kind of like a new start.

I've done that numerous times, I find it very refreshing. It's like turning a new page. When I first started weaning myself off of Vai and heavier onto my older favorites, I realized what made Vai's music sound sterile to me, and why I dug what I used to, and still dig now.

alfaromeo90

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 08:31:04 PM »
Yes, i went back to two music vids which had me in awe before i played - Frusciante, RHCP "Suck my kiss" and Stevie Ray Vaughan "Supersition" live (Stevie Wonder cover).  I worked out that it was the raw tones and the reckless ferocity in the way they were playing.  By contrast I had become very precise and considered and my tones too processed.

Budd - i bet you can't stomach 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Sweet Child o mine'  still to this day! :)

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 12:40:09 AM »
Yes, i went back to two music vids which had me in awe before i played - Frusciante, RHCP "Suck my kiss" and Stevie Ray Vaughan "Supersition" live (Stevie Wonder cover).  I worked out that it was the raw tones and the reckless ferocity in the way they were playing.  By contrast I had become very precise and considered and my tones too processed.

Budd - i bet you can't stomach 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Sweet Child o mine'  still to this day! :)

Shit man, I can't stomach "Stairway" or "Sweet Child O' Mine"

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 11:44:14 AM »

Believe it or not, that would have been the case early on, but throughout the years I've actually had fewer people play Stairway to Heaven or Sweet Child o' mine. What gets me is the kids playing the same Nirvana tunes over and over and over... and over... and over... and... well you get the point. Stairway would have been a welcome change.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

joelmo

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 09:35:35 PM »

Believe it or not, that would have been the case early on, but throughout the years I've actually had fewer people play Stairway to Heaven or Sweet Child o' mine. What gets me is the kids playing the same Nirvana tunes over and over and over... and over... and over... and... well you get the point. Stairway would have been a welcome change.

yeah i had the same problem. kids my age (beacuse im still a kid). are only to play nirvana, guns and iron maiden songs. i know they are really important bands and they'r song are cool, but most of the people have no recollection of how amazing the E-guitar can be.

Offline mi2tom

• I love playing guitar :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 03:08:07 AM »
Funny, different place different style. The kids here plays malmsteen and I'm seriously sick of it, no ego clash though but it's just too much. I like to see kids here plays metalica for a change or others, I'd take nirvana anyday.

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 07:47:59 AM »
I hear a lot of Avenged Sevenfold at my local Guitar center and I pride myself on having once shut up the store playing an Ibanez on clean channel when trying out the Peavey Vypyr

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
I hear a lot of Avenged Sevenfold at my local Guitar center and I pride myself on having once shut up the store playing an Ibanez on clean channel when trying out the Peavey Vypyr

Funny... I once shut up a store full of Green Day emo kids by playing "Wanted... Dead or Alive" on a 12-string acoustic...