Charvel San Dimas with Evo Bridge - Pickup too BIG

• 1 Replies

Offline RolanTHUNDER

• View Profile
Charvel San Dimas with Evo Bridge - Pickup too BIG
« on: December 19, 2017, 03:17:16 AM »
Hi guys! Love DiMarzio very much. My favourite pickups are made by them.

So on to the issue I am experiencing. 2010 San Dimas Style 1 made in Japan. Came with SD '59/JB. '59 was nice but JB did not suit this guitar well to my taste. Just didn't complement it I believe. Sold the set. Swopped in my chrome Illuminator neck into the bridge to play around with and it worked well. Now I decided to put an Evo F spaced in the bridge and put the Illuminator in the neck. To my surprise the Evo is way too chunky in size to give me enough string clearance since the cavities are so shallow! I had to raise the bridge quite a lot to clear the pickup just enough to sound good. And boy does it SOUND GOOD!!!!! Amazing tone actually, love it. Problem is it can't stay like this lol... sigh. I am looking at getting the matching Illuminator bridge to complete the set but am wondering whether it will be similar in profile to the neck version? Any other pickups you recommend I get that will fit nicely and sound amazing with the Illuminator in the neck? My style is rock/metal, EVH to Vai, Maiden to 'Tallica and lots in between. This is my Eb guitar and has a very present '80's shred machine hot rod vibe to it, Jason Becker, etc.

Thanks!

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
Re: Charvel San Dimas with Evo Bridge - Pickup too BIG
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 12:35:27 PM »
Bring the guitar to have the cavity routed a little deeper. It's a fairly easy job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk