New neck time.

• 11 Replies

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
New neck time.
« on: September 06, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »
I don't think I have made it any secret, that my '97 Big Apple Strat has pretty much been my number one axe. Anyhow, since the day I got it, it has had a slight twist in the neck. I mean ever so slight. Of course over time, that twist has gotten worse. I didn't really notice how bad, until I played my G&L and went back to it. Over time I adapted, even as the twist just kept getting worse.

I took it to a luthier and the cost was just stupid. So I ordered a new neck today. I am surprised that duthiers are even in business anymore for feet jobs when they charge more than the cost of a top shelf neck from Warmoth just to drop 1 name. The cost of my neck with the same woods, radius, etc. Was half of just a regret, and 1/4 what the luthiers around here want for a new slab and fretjob.

If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: New neck time.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 04:17:41 PM »
I have rarely bought a replacement neck that did not also require a small amount of fret level and nut slot adjustment. You can buy a 9.5" aluminum sanding beam and fret crowning file for less than the Luthier will charge you to do the job. It isn't rocket science. I taught myself how to do it, and now do fret levels for other people all the time.

Offline MW-AB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »
FYI, you can buy a genuine Fender replacement neck direct from Fender due to the defect.
They don't sell necks normally but in a case like yours they will.
Of course you'll have to surrender the old one.
Warmoth necks are built to exact Fender specs and with legal authorization to do so but you won't get the labelling or a serial number.
Not sure how important that is to you to keep it Fender.
Using a Warmoth neck will reduce its resale value.
Not sure if that is important to you either.

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 07:25:40 PM »
The thing is it's not just replacing the board and putting in new frets. The neck needs to be straightened out and leveled, might need a new truss rod, might need refinishing, and then it can get a new board and frets. Sure it's more expensive than getting a new neck, but in a lot of cases it's also a lot more work than one too.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 11:53:12 AM »
I am not that worried about the serial #. I just want my number one back in playing order. I understand why the project is so expensive and that a luthier's time should not be free. I just can't justify spending the coin when I have so many options that are less than half the price.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 06:32:41 PM »
FYI, you can buy a genuine Fender replacement neck direct from Fender due to the defect.
They don't sell necks normally but in a case like yours they will.
Of course you'll have to surrender the old one.
Warmoth necks are built to exact Fender specs and with legal authorization to do so but you won't get the labelling or a serial number.
Not sure how important that is to you to keep it Fender.
Using a Warmoth neck will reduce its resale value.
Not sure if that is important to you either.
I contacted Fender many many moons ago about it, and could only surmise that after multiple times of contacting the both bynphone and email that their response, or in this case, the lack of one was their way of saying they could care less. At no time was there ever an offer of a replacement if I sent in the old one. To be honest, at no time was there even a response.

Your experience with them must be way more positive than my own.

It's all good. My new neck is on the way.

Offline HarlowTheFish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 06:42:23 PM »
They haven't been doing that for very long. First time I saw that was like, early last year maybe?

Offline MW-AB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 07:01:38 PM »
Better off to go through an authorized dealer and let them deal with Fender.
It is a sale, after all and although I have heard of them dealing with individual customers it's not the norm.
That's likely my bad there because I used the word direct.
They wouldn't be giving you a free neck unless it was still under warranty so it's a sale.

No matter you have a neck coming.
Hope it works out well for you.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 06:25:37 PM »
Me too.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 08:06:39 AM »
[So it arrived Thursday! Did the install Friday. No issues. Put a borrowed fretboard rocker on it. Frets were level. So I basically had to drill it for the tuner studs and the body screws. There is enough meat at the heel that I won't need the micro tilt, and the fret ends are smooth a butter. I couldn't be happier. Before I get hammered, Yes it IS a Might Mite. Hey, I am on a tight budget!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:31:22 AM by Guitar74 »

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 03:35:41 AM »
That lead guitarist is Mark Tremonti. Nothing to do with the thread BTW.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 07:25:37 AM »
Wow! I just took a look at my first post on this subject. (Think of Val Kilmer in Tombstone) Now I REALLY hate the auto correct function on my smartphone!