Di Marzio Mini Humbucker (DP-168)

• 2 Replies

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Di Marzio Mini Humbucker (DP-168)
« on: January 31, 2019, 06:00:52 AM »
I just put one into the neck position of a guitar yesterday and had the chance to compare it directly to another guitar with the DP-240 in the neck position.

The comparison between the old and new minihumbuckers was already discussed here:

http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,4367.msg33874.html#msg33874

and I concur with DiMarzio's opinion. The DP-168 in the neck sounds a lot more like a full sized neck humbucker with a bit more high end and a bit less low end, just enough to not be muddy but it is nowhere as bright and tight as the newer DP-240. It is a good pickup with solid output that has no problem in keeping up with the SD Custom 5 at the bridge, but very different to the DP-240 and much closer to the Hot Minibucker (DP-198), on which I commented here:

http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,5416.0.html

My feeling is that the older versions are better suited to the bridge position whereas the newer versions would be better candidates for the neck position, even though I have not yet played a DP-241.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Di Marzio Mini Humbucker (DP-168)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 08:01:47 AM »
My feeling is that the older versions are better suited to the bridge position whereas the newer versions would be better candidates for the neck position, even though I have not yet played a DP-241.

I have put one in the bridge spot of a dual humbucker Tele and my feelings were fully confirmed. The DP168 is between a full size PAF humbucker and a single coil but much closer to the PAF. The Vintage Mini (DP240) would be a step further in the direction of a single coil without going all the way like a Firebird would. The guitar it is in has a Firebird pickup in the neck spot, and the pickups balance quite well. I used 500k pots on all pickups.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Di Marzio Mini Humbucker (DP-168)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 01:21:17 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I think there are a few people that would find that feedback useful!
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter