How does the Chopper fair when split?

• 8 Replies

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
How does the Chopper fair when split?
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:11:41 PM »
I've got Choppers in the neck position of a couple guitars and before I go replacing volume pots and rewiring them I was hoping some folks could chime in with their experiences on how they sound when split.

Offline chuck.hanning.1

• View Profile
Re: How does the Chopper fair when split?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:32:05 PM »
On my tele I have a mini humbucker in the neck and a chopper in the bridge. On my vol and tone pots I have switched for each pickup series or parallel. While I like the neck in parallel sometimes, I rarely use the bridge that way.
Although it's not really splitting the pickup it's a similar sound.
YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:16:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply but I'm using the Chopper in the neck position so the change in tone from splitting it may be desirable, especially since I'm not running it in a Tele.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:47:02 PM by Matt_B »

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 01:32:03 AM »
I've got Choppers in the neck position of a couple guitars and before I go replacing volume pots and rewiring them I was hoping some folks could chime in with their experiences on how they sound when split.

Lower output, but not really much brighter, if at all. I had a guitar with a Chopper in the neck and series/parallel/split switching. Every sound was useful and distinct.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:47:56 PM »
Lower output, but not really much brighter, if at all. I had a guitar with a Chopper in the neck and series/parallel/split switching. Every sound was useful and distinct.
Thanks for the reply.

What do the other modes (parallel and split) sound like? Do any of them get brighter? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:54:57 AM »
I have it set up for series and parallel modes. Parallel mode is brighter and lower output - a very useable tone.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 11:26:10 AM »
I have it set up for series and parallel modes. Parallel mode is brighter and lower output - a very useable tone.
So is parallel brighter than split?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 05:37:37 AM »
I don't know - I have never set it up to split.

With regular sized humbuckers one would expect the parallel mode to be brighter than split mode. In practice this is not always the case, and that is due to the phase cancellations in parallel mode which occur since both coils pick up the signal. Since the Chopper is single coil size, the phase cancellations occur at different frequencies so the sonic impression between split and parallel may be different than with regular sized humbuckers.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline yanyan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »
So is parallel brighter than split?

Hi. Seems like you didn't get an answer to this question.

The Chopper in parallel sounds as bright as in split, with just a bit more fatness and no hum.