HS-2 or Area in the middle position

• 16 Replies

Offline Peter Krasov

• View Profile
HS-2 or Area in the middle position
« on: June 21, 2016, 10:04:26 PM »
Hi,

Looking for the middle pickup for Heavy Blues 2 in bridge and Area 67 in neck.

Chosing between Area 58, 61 or HS-2 pickup, all the other models may also be considered.

The main goal is to get the most versatile sound pallete available, with distinctive sounds in each position.

Any ideas, guys?

Thanks.

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
Re: HS-2 or Area in the middle position
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:40:19 PM »
If you go with the HS-2, make sure you wire it with a switch for the top coil only option. Or wire it permanently in that mode, as I have. It will actually be louder that way. It's the best single coil sound I've ever used, and I've used quite a few.

Offline Peter Krasov

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:58:41 PM »
If you go with the HS-2, make sure you wire it with a switch for the top coil only option. Or wire it permanently in that mode, as I have. It will actually be louder that way. It's the best single coil sound I've ever used, and I've used quite a few.

All three pickups will have an option for single-coil operation.

What's wrong with HS2 in full mode? I've read some topics, and it is always recommended to wire it in single-coil mode.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 04:21:24 AM »
I have not played the HS-2 but the HS-1 and HS-3. They all have very low output despite of their high DC resistance in full mode. When shutting off the bottom coil the output increases but so does the hum. So with these pickups it's a compromise between tone/output and humfree operation.

On the other hand the pickups in the Area series do have a very healthy output and still cancel hum very effectively. To me there is really no reason to split them. My favorites for the middle position are the Area 58 and Virtual Vintage 54 Pro. Both sound excellent in this position and quack very well with either the bridge or neck pickup.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Peter Krasov

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 04:23:34 AM »
My favorites for the middle position are the Area 58 and Virtual Vintage 54 Pro. Both sound excellent in this position and quack very well with either the bridge or neck pickup.

Cheers Stephan

thanks Stephan,

Which of them do you like more? What is basic difference between them in middle position?

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 08:29:05 AM »
Area.  Easy.  HS-2s do not sound like real singles and the output is anemic; it's early 80s technology vs. current millennia. 

Also, no need to wire Areas to split, unless you have another pickup that is RW/RP and need to cancel hum (like splitting a bridge humbucker).  All you do when you split an Area is add noise.

Offline Peter Krasov

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 08:30:49 AM »
Also, no need to wire Areas to split, unless you have another pickup that is RW/RP and need to cancel hum (like splitting a bridge humbucker).  All you do when you split an Area is add noise.

Won't they get brighter, when split?

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 08:32:19 AM »
Not audibly no.  They aren't like those old HS stacks from the 80s (which is the technology every other company except DiMarzio and Kinman still use).  All you'll be doing is adding hum.

Offline Peter Krasov

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 08:35:18 AM »
Not audibly no.  They aren't like those old HS stacks from the 80s (which is the technology every other company except DiMarzio and Kinman still use).  All you'll be doing is adding hum.

Great, thanks. It will be even easier.

Is Area 58 a good choice for middle?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 12:06:01 PM »
Which of them do you like more? What is basic difference between them in middle position?

VV 54 Pro has a bit more low end and a little less top end than the 58. I like both - in terms of middle position sound I prefer the 54 for the extended low end which adds fullness, in terms of quack with the other two pickups I prefer the 58. Keep in mind that we are not talking about night and day differences. Both will work well - I would choose based on whether the quack in #2 and 4 was more important (then 58) or the middle position tone (then 54).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 12:09:22 PM »
I may add that if your guitar is bright sounding acoustically, the 54 would be the preferred choice.

Cheers Stephan

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 12:13:06 PM »
Which pickup just depends on the guitar and what it sounds like.  I have a ton of guitars with different Area set ups, and I'm not sure if any 2 are the exact same pickups, although I'm shooting for similar sounds.  Darker guitars might get an Injector Neck middle/neck with 500k pots or Injector neck Middle/54 or 61 neck; others might get the same with 250k if they are bright; some get '54 middle/61 neck. 

Very hard to answer the question without knowing what your guitar sounds like through your amp and what you're going for.

Offline Peter Krasov

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 12:31:18 PM »
The guitar is basswood Squier Strat Vintage Modified, and it is neutral sounding: neither bright nor dark.

The goal is to get quack, and to have middle position bluesy tone as well. I guess that is 58?

Offline Peter Krasov

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 02:03:17 PM »
Though tends to be darker

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 11:27:29 PM »
I'd start with a 58 yes.