Tone zone vs suhr update

• 3 Replies

Offline Timius

• View Profile
Tone zone vs suhr update
« on: June 19, 2016, 10:49:35 AM »
Many of you probably remember my thread on picking new pickups for my JP6.   I ended up with a Tone zone/air Norton combo. 

A/b vs my les Paul standard with Suhr Aldrich pickups the dimarzios kill it in terms of clarity and harmonics.  It even, at least to me sounds tighter on the low end.  This is playing through a line 6 hd500x into either an FRFR powered speaker or my Tracktion DAW.  I was a little shocked to say the least.  It took time to dial in the tone zone but I didn't even have to change how I eq. 

Offline teddybear

• View Profile
Re: Tone zone vs suhr update
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »
Many of you probably remember my thread on picking new pickups for my JP6.   I ended up with a Tone zone/air Norton combo. 

A/b vs my les Paul standard with Suhr Aldrich pickups the dimarzios kill it in terms of clarity and harmonics.  It even, at least to me sounds tighter on the low end.  This is playing through a line 6 hd500x into either an FRFR powered speaker or my Tracktion DAW.  I was a little shocked to say the least.  It took time to dial in the tone zone but I didn't even have to change how I eq.
yeah just need to change input hi-z and boom there the tone.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:30:39 AM »
I have a Suhr guitar that I almost threw in the trash because it sounded so GD bad with the stock Suhr pickups.  Put in AT-1 and Injectors and it's now one of the best sounding guitars I own.  Suhr does some things right; pickups aren't one of those things.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 12:01:50 PM »
The JP6 and the Les Paul are vastly different guitars so the pickups are not alone responsible for the final tone. That said I also had a Suhr Aldrich set and found that they did not live quite up to the expectations. The bridge pickup did not sound bad but it had a strong high end roll off (which I noticed even in an otherwise bright guitar). The low end was quite tight in that particular guitar. The neck pickup was outright muddy. It sounded good in the bridge though - nice PAF kind of tone. I still have the neck pickup but sold off the bridge pickup over another forum.

The only gripe I have with it is that the set was for direct mounting which means it has the holes in the legs widened so that it cannot be mounted in the standard pickup rings with standard screws. I wished ebay-sellers would state that in their ads if the leg holes are widened in that manner. Besides, it is absolutely unnecessary to do this if you modify the screws a bit.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b