Pickups for Les Paul

• 22 Replies

Offline Slartibartfarst

• View Profile
Pickups for Les Paul
« on: April 06, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »
I have a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio that's fitted with a 498T and 490R. I confess I really like the 498T but I'm nothing like as keen on the 490R so I wondered about changing them both. For the bridge I'm tempted to say I'd like something pretty similar to the 498T but I have no idea what that would be. I'm also very tempted with tha Super Distortion but the EQ on the website suggests it would be a hell of a lot darker than the 498T. Is the SD a rather more modern pickup whereas the 498T always seems like it has a traditional Rock vibe - plenty of tight distortion with a real growl to it.

For the neck I like something with more of a PAF flavour so clearer, fluid, and almost bell like that is great for Bluesy solos but also takes loads of gain without going mushy. For this I was thinking either the PAF 36th Anniversary, PAF Pro or PAF Joe.

Any thoughts?

Offline LPBII

• View Profile
Re: Pickups for Les Paul
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 11:15:50 AM »
The 498T is ~13k with an alnico 5 magnet The Super D is 13.7k with a powerful ceramic magnet. I doubt it will be significantly darker with its ceramic mag, but it will probably be bigger and bolder everywhere. For traditional rock it is a proven classic.

The 490r is an alnico 2, 7k, PAF type neck pickup.  What is it you don't like about it?  Spongy bass? Lack of bell like highs? The 36th neck will have plenty of bell like highs and a more solid bass with out being boomy.   

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 07:11:36 PM »
Maybe consider the 36th in the neck and the 36th Bridge in the bridge.

Given the nature of the neck position in Lesters, keep a PAF Pro on the back burner.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Slartibartfarst

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 04:23:35 PM »
I like the 498T because it has balls and a real growl to it. The tone is a bit hairy and aggression so it's ideal for Rock, Metal and Blues Rock. It's a very articulate pickup. I thought of the Super Distortion partly because I've just always fancied one and partly because the DiMarzio pickup selector kept choosing it for me. My only concerns with it is that I don't usually use ceramics as the tone often lacks richness and depth compared to alnico. I'm also unsure because I don't know what wire is used. I like 43AWG plain enamel wire as that always seems to give it that little bit of hair to the tone I like. I can't see a PAF 36th giving me all that in the bridge. It needs to be something that is in the same ballpark as the 498T.

I don't like the 490R because the bottom end is spongy, the top end lacks the bell-like qualities and fluidity and the whole thing is just lifeless and uninspiring. I was looking at the 36th because it came up on the pickup selector, the PAF Pro because it was a bit hotter to keep up with the bridge and I usually like neck pickups with a real PAF feel and I came up with the PAF Joe because the description of 'tubular' intrigued me and sounded good. Like the bridge, I'm not usually keen on vintage 42AWG wire. If you know your Bare Knuckle pickups I'd be looking for something that is a bit of a mix between the Holydiver neck and Emerald neck. I tend to like brighter neck pickups and the EQ chart suggested the 36th would be too dark, though these things can be misleading.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:26:15 PM by Slartibartfarst »

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 11:37:16 PM »
The Super D is thick, middy, and has more highs than you would think.  Honestly, a great all around pickup.  You can turn it down if you need to (Do a 50's wiring mod to retain highs).

The Ceramic makes it more 'tight' than shallow.  Do not confuse "k" rating for how hot it is.  I'd say a SuperD is notably hotter than a 498.

Regular old PAF in the neck will do fine, unless you have one of those dark/muddy LP's.  Then go with that PAF Pro

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 10:14:53 AM »
The Duncan Jazz neck pairs well with the 498t if you want to keep it.

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 11:49:36 PM »
That would be similar to a Jazz C5 combo.  Kinda cool modern sound.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 11:51:36 PM »
I found the Emerald and Holy Diver to be softer than expected.

When it comes to specs like wire gauge and type of wire and DCR, I do enjoy knowing what's going on.  But, it's far from always being apples to apples.

I like the PAF Pro and the PAF Joe. I think the Pro is a little more focused and the Joe is a little more complex. Both are good.

Do not confuse "k" rating for how hot it is.

Excellent point

Offline satch_jr

• View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/mathiasremy
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 04:51:23 AM »
take a look on the norton (DP160) for the bridge position.

On the neck side, I strongly recommend the paf joe, really great, balanced, not boomy and has some very cool overtones...

Offline Slartibartfarst

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »
Oddly enough, when I contacted DiMarzio themselves, they also suggested a Norton in the bridge on the grounds that the Super Distortion would be a better option if it were a Strat while the Norton is similar but tailored more to a Les Paul. For the neck they suggested a PAF Master.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 07:47:09 AM »
I like the 498T because it has balls and a real growl to it. The tone is a bit hairy and aggression so it's ideal for Rock, Metal and Blues Rock. It's a very articulate pickup. I thought of the Super Distortion partly because I've just always fancied one and partly because the DiMarzio pickup selector kept choosing it for me. My only concerns with it is that I don't usually use ceramics as the tone often lacks richness and depth compared to alnico. I'm also unsure because I don't know what wire is used. I like 43AWG plain enamel wire as that always seems to give it that little bit of hair to the tone I like. I can't see a PAF 36th giving me all that in the bridge. It needs to be something that is in the same ballpark as the 498T.

I don't like the 490R because the bottom end is spongy, the top end lacks the bell-like qualities and fluidity and the whole thing is just lifeless and uninspiring. I was looking at the 36th because it came up on the pickup selector, the PAF Pro because it was a bit hotter to keep up with the bridge and I usually like neck pickups with a real PAF feel and I came up with the PAF Joe because the description of 'tubular' intrigued me and sounded good. Like the bridge, I'm not usually keen on vintage 42AWG wire. If you know your Bare Knuckle pickups I'd be looking for something that is a bit of a mix between the Holydiver neck and Emerald neck. I tend to like brighter neck pickups and the EQ chart suggested the 36th would be too dark, though these things can be misleading.

Based on that I would consider replacing the neck pickup first and then consider the bridge pickup upgrade. I have played the older DiMarzio PAF (which is now the DP 103 - 36th Anniversary neck) but that was long ago. I remember having liked it. The only other DiMarzio humbuckers I used in the neck position are the Air Norton, which I think would be too dark in this case - and the Bluesbucker, which I liked. It is a bit brighter and tighter than a PAF type humbucker, although not as tight as a single coil. What I really like about it is that its split tone is almost as loud as the humbucking tone so if that is important to you it is well worth considering. More detailed comments from me here: http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1548.0.html (replies #9 and #14).

The PAF Master has caught my interest as well but I do not really have a use for it at the moment. 

Cheers Stephan
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:49:13 AM by darkbluemurder »
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 07:52:55 AM »
I am also sure that you have seen this: http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,5250.0.html.

In this thread Budd compared the PAF Master neck and the Bluesbucker - interesting read.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 12:20:10 PM »
Been tinkering with the Bluesbucker for a few weeks. Just posted a review yesterday ( http://darthphineas.com/2016/04/dimarzio-bluesbucker-dp163-humbucker-pickup/ ).

I can agree with the positive comments made so far. I like it.

Offline Slartibartfarst

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 01:18:05 PM »
The thing with changing just the neck pickup is that I'd rather keep a more uniform look and currently the pickups have gold covers that I don't want to get again so that's my main motivation for changing the bridge pickup too. I was going to move to black open poles with gold screws/pole pieces. The other thing is that the guitar currently has a PCB for the wiring and I assume I'll need to take that out and replace all of the electrics.

I don't see the neck pickup as a huge issue as I get the impression that the PAF Pro, PAF Joe, PAF 36th and PAF Master could all do a job for me but I'm finding it harder to settle on a bridge pickup. The Norton seems to be the best fit so far, though I've read a few concerning reports that it doesn't work as well in mahogany guitars like a Les Paul and that the treble side tends to tail off somewhat. I'd like to use DiMarzio again as I've been so impressed with my Strat set but I may have to go to The Creamery again and get a set custom made. 

Offline slim_blues_boy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 10:05:27 PM »
before you swapped pickup, you might want to consider magnet swap.
try to swap the alnico 2 with alnico 5, it might opened up the 490R.

or if you only want to change the pickups, 36th in the neck should be great.
and don't fall into "ceramic is bad" stereotype too, ceramic magnet in right pickup would be as good as alnico in the right pickup. Super D is good example, it sound great in Les Paul, thick & punchy without being too dark.
or if you can find Virtual Hot PAF, that also great bridge pickup. unfortunately, it's discontinue.