HSH and quack

• 1 Replies

andyg_prs

HSH and quack
« on: March 24, 2016, 06:11:30 PM »
Hi,

I have a Vigier Excalibur Ultra that came with active EMGs.  On recommendations I installed an HSH Bareknuckle set, Nailbombs HBs and an Emerald middle coil.  It was wired using standard 5 way switch selections and series/parallel option on the Neck HB using a push push tone pot.

The parallel option was just a disappointing drop in volume and I wasn't very impressed with the BKPs.

I have Dimarzio Evolutions (158 and 159) in my self build HSH guitar, so I changed to those.  I actually had to bend the legs flat and drill holes to install in my Vigier as the routes were so shallow and I didn't want to cut into the Vigier.

I'm very happy with the humbucker sounds on the guitar now.  Through experimentation, I changed the wiring to use a push push volume pot to tap the humbuckers (but with a resistor to just shunt a bit of signal so as not to lose too much volume) and a push push tone pot to "add bridge" mainly to enable me to get bridge plus neck humbuckers together.

Now, I mainly use the humbuckers - neck, bridge or both.  The (partial) coil tap is just "ok".

So, any ideas how I could rewire to have easy access to my main humbucker sounds, but also to get some Strat-ty / funky sounds, even better if I don't lose a lot of volume.  I should say that the 2,3,4 positions on the 5-way don't do much for me.  2 and 4 not at all quacky, 3, a bit weak.

Not sure if somehow taking outside and/or inside coils of both humbuckers, perhaps wired in series....could get those sounds and maintain a bit of volume?

What tricks do you have for me?

Cheers,
Andy

PS - not really looking to change pickups or buy additional special devices....just want to wire up what I've got.

PPS - I know there are lots of wiring diagrams on the forum, but rather than trial and error I was hoping to describe the sounds I'm looking for in the hope someone thinks "I know just the thing"....

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: HSH and quack
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 03:56:15 PM »
Why not try wiring each of the humbuckers with a series/parallel switch? You won't lose that much signal and it'll up the resonant peak so your tone sounds a bit more strat-like. I used to do that for the Caparisons that I used to sell to give guys who wanted the strat-like sound without the hum and output loss.

Another option is to wire up the outer coils on both the humbuckers so get more of that quaky Tele sound.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter