Recommendation for ESP M-II

• 8 Replies

Offline BartOfDarkness

• View Profile
Recommendation for ESP M-II
« on: January 01, 2016, 05:20:08 AM »
Hey guys, I'm looking at putting some DiMarzio's in my ESP M-II and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to recommend a pickup for me? This one is the bolt on version of the M-II, with a rosewood fretboard and I plug straight into a Peavey Ultra (though I might add a tube screamer sometime in the future). Also, I mainly play power metal and death metal. I know for sure that I'm going to try out an Evolution in the neck, but I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to bridge pickups. I'm looking for something with a really chunky, firm low end, but I need enough articulation for technical riffs and I like a little sizzle on the top end (nothing TOO bright though). Overall I guess I'm looking for something balanced that leans towards the warm end of the spectrum. Right now I'm looking at getting a Norton, EVO 2, D Activator X, Super 3 or the D-Sonic. I should mention that I already own and tried the D-Sonic in a Basswood RG and thought it was okay, but I didn't love it. I'm only considering it because it's not being used right now. The Peavey Ultra has plenty of gain as far as I'm concerned, so I'm not too worried about output. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 05:21:50 AM by BartOfDarkness »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: Recommendation for ESP M-II
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:03:14 AM »
I have a 90s ESP M-II. Great guitar.

For the style of music you suggested some of the options that come to mind that I have played would be (in no particular order):

Titan set
Illuminator set
Dominion set
D Activator set
MegaDrive bridge
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline BartOfDarkness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 07:10:59 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations! I was actually looking at getting a Megadrive for awhile, but for some reason it kinda dropped off the radar for me. I've heard a lot of good things about it, so I think I'll give it a shot.

My ESP M-II is from 2006, though I don't know if the ones from the 90's are very different. Either way it's an awesome guitar and the neck is just perfect.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:03:17 PM »
I was going to suggest the Crunch Lab/Liquifire set or the Illuminator set.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline BartOfDarkness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 10:46:08 PM »
I played one of the John Petrucci signature models and thought the Crunch Lab was nice, but a tad too smooth. DiMarzio says that the illuminator has more highs, so maybe that would be better. I have to wait until pay day until I can order pickups, so I have time to think about it.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 12:45:34 AM »

I played one of the John Petrucci signature models and thought the Crunch Lab was nice, but a tad too smooth. DiMarzio says that the illuminator has more highs, so maybe that would be better. I have to wait until pay day until I can order pickups, so I have time to think about it.

I had similar thoughts about the earlier JP pickups. The Illuminator set addresses that pretty well.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 02:48:31 AM »
Crunch Lab has a very smooth top end. A Super 3 might work

Offline BartOfDarkness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 02:05:38 AM »
I've been reading reviews and listening to clips of the Illuminator and I think it might be exactly what I need! It's got that deep sound I'm looking for and yet still very clear and tight. I'm not sure if the neck pickup will be my thing, but with the exchange policy it doesn't hurt to try it out.

Offline finest1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 02:53:37 PM »
if you are happy that you can get your desired gain out of your amp, you can look at the medium output pickups. because they are medium power, they won't get too muddy with all the gain.  i've played an ibanez with an EVO in the bridge and it was awesome! also you'd be able to get a decent clean sound out them if you needed to. i've got a super 3 in my Jackson PC-1 and that is absolutley nuts!!

don't forget the classic X2N!