Combo humbucker for Ibanez RG350DX

• 2 Replies

Offline Andree88

• View Profile
Combo humbucker for Ibanez RG350DX
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:11:14 PM »
Hi, I've a Ibanez RG350DX and I need to change bridge and neck pickups.
I love Progressive/Shred so I need a combo for this style.
It's my "backup" guitar but I love the feeling of the RG so I want to have 2 good pickups :)

I found a guy that can sell to me this combination:
- D-Activator (bridge) and Air Norton (neck)

I have two questions: is D-Activator output too much to be paired with Air Norton (neck)?
Is Air Norton (neck) good with Shred style?

Thanks a lot :)

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Combo humbucker for Ibanez RG350DX
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:10:20 PM »
If you have the chops you can shred on pretty much anything so the pickups doesnt matter all that much. I also think the amp and pedals are way more important.

But having said that...

Ive never had those two in the same guitar so I cant really say how they fit together but Im not a big fan of the Air Norton, way too muddy, unarticulate and dark for me. The D-Activator is articulate and a bit compressed so its nice to shred on, although I think it shines as metal rhythm pickup and not necessarily on leads.

If I were to come up with some H-H pickup combos for shred Id either go Tone Zone/PAF Pro for a slightly less "super-saturated" tone, or Super Distortion/Super 2 for balls-out, face-melting old-school shred tones.

But thats just me; there are as many preferred pickup combinations as there are guitar players!  :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:21:45 PM by jazzfromhell »

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Combo humbucker for Ibanez RG350DX
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 08:18:40 PM »
I also think the Air Norton is too muddy. I haven't played the other. The Tone Zone/Paf Pro is a great combo for shred. So is the Breed set, and a lot of people like the CrunchLab/Liquifire, but I've never owned those two.