Neck SC Rails to pair with a Transition Bridge

• 4 Replies

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
Neck SC Rails to pair with a Transition Bridge
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:37:30 PM »
I am putting the finishing touches on a jackson Dinky guitar that will be two way  H-S (with a dummy middle pickup cover) .
A transition will be going into the bridge, but what do you think a good match neck rails Dimarzio single coil sized humbucker to sound somewhat similar to the Transition?
If all else fails, I was thinking the venerable Pro Track would be the best overall humbucker sounding SC rails.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:40:26 PM by jerryjg »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Neck SC Rails to pair with a Transition Bridge
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 06:16:01 AM »
I pondered that exact question a week ago and I opted for the Satch Track. I will have it early next week. I like a bright HB in the neck position and the Pro Track is a tad dark.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »
Depends on what kind of sound you want. The Satch Track, Cruiser bridge or Injector could work. So would a pro track actually.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Hugo77

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 04:28:02 AM »
DiMarzio recommended me a BC-1 at one point. From what I heard, I like it better than the ProTrack, but that is one man's opinion. You might want a pu that blend well with the Transition sound though. Ever considered a Injector? Maybe a bridge version, cause of the increased output compared to the neck?

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 09:12:29 AM »
Finally got the Satch Track installed...

I have a Transition in the bridge, and the guitar is a basswood H-S Ibanez. I previously had a Chopper in the neck and while I like it Im always looking for more brightness and cut from the neck pickup so I wanted to try something different, and the ST is a tiny tad brighter but its not night and day. (Just for reference I find the Air Norton S for example to be unuseable; way WAAY too dark for me...I could barely hear the notes on the top strings when I was using it, they were so dark).
My initial impression is that the ST and Chopper are darn close. It pretty much feels the same to play as the Chopper, gain- and compression-wise, maybe the ST has a tad cleaner bottom end.  Ill post a longer review when Ive spent some serious time with it.

However...

It pairs beautifully with the Transition Bridge!
I have it on a 5-way switch which gives me:

1) bridge
2) bridge in parallel
3) inner coils of both pickups
4) neck in parallel
5) neck

All positions are extremely well balanced and useful. It was a crap shoot but it worked out much better than I ever would have thought. If you need a guitar thats versatile and can handle everything from screaming rock/metal to light pop/funk stuff to SRV-style blues, twangy country licks and beyond, try it out.
Its definitely my new favorite H-S pickup combo.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:41:31 AM by jazzfromhell »