Wiring experts, in need of direction and diags

• 3 Replies

Dr.StrangeNote

Wiring experts, in need of direction and diags
« on: May 26, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »
Hi,

Thank you all, I value your input.

I have written to DiMarzio and they said that could look into a diagram but a solution is not likely.  I am looking to wire a 3 humbuckers (4 conductor) dimarzio pickups - Tone Zone S, Fast Track 1, Air Norton S, to a 3 way DiMarzio EP1111 switch.  I don't want/need a tone pot, just a volume push/pull EP1201PP 500k pot.  I'd like to be able to have each humbucker in the full humbucker "On" position (vol pushed), and the push/pull pot split the coils (pulled).  Does anyone have any pointers or diagrams, or even a sample that I can use as a base and modify off of that?  Thank you.

Jason

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring experts, in need of direction and diags
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 09:23:16 AM »
The EP1111 switch is designed to work with two humbuckers and have the following selections (aka John Petrucci wiring):

#1 bridge humbucker
#2 bridge + neck inner coils in parallel
#3 neck humbucker

It is not designed to work with three pickups, even though there may be possibilities to make that work.

You could use that switch to control the outside humbuckers and use the push pull pot to add the middle pickup.

With one push-pull pot it is not possible to split all three humbuckers - you would need a push-pull pot that has nine pins (I only know of pots that have six).

Which pickup combinations are the most important for you? That would help to design a wiring schematic.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Dr.StrangeNote

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »
Stephan, thank you.

hmm, ok.  The middle pickup isn't really that important to me in everyday applications, but I'd like to be able to then add it in if I have to.  I'm surprised that the 3 way EP111 won't at least allow me to use all three in full humbucker mode and the push/pull to do something less than what I was after in regards to splitting the coils.  I'd be ok with each one being accessed in full humbucker mode, however, I would like to know what you might be able to suggest by doing the standard petrucci style wiring, and using a push/pull to add in the middle humbucker.  that might work out better for what I'm looking to do anyway.

Please advise.

Thank you,
Jason

Dr.StrangeNote

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 11:31:46 AM »

Which pickup combinations are the most important for you? That would help to design a wiring schematic.

I would say that I'd like to be able to use the Bridge only, and the Neck only using the EP1111, and then I guess (like the Petrucci wiring), the inner coils of both of those humbuckers with the switch in the middle position.  I don't need a tone knob, so the push/pull pot can add the Middle humbucker in at any position would be cool. I don't know if it could add middle humbucker (pulled), and short out the middle split of the neck and bridge at the same time?  That might be getting nuts, but just a thought.  Whatever you might be able to come up with or get me in the right direction, I can work things out on my end.  thank you kindly!

Jason