Fast Track 2 Rocks!

• 11 Replies

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
Fast Track 2 Rocks!
« on: April 08, 2010, 07:36:07 PM »
Hi folks, Just got my Fast Track 2 into bridge position on my 3 pickup Tele (replacing Tonezone S) Tonezone was nice, had some nice lows, sweet highs, etc.
Fast Track is NOT nice! Its very business-like and defined. I love it! Thanks to all who gave me advice about it!
                     Bill.

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
Re: Fast Track 2 Rocks!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:22:23 PM »
Glad you like it.  The Fast Track 2 is my favorite bridge rail pup.  If you close your eyes when you play it, it will sound like a full size bucker, Awesome pickup that doesn't get enough credit.
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline jrbowen81

• View Profile
Fast Track 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 10:22:59 AM »
Glad you like it.  The Fast Track 2 is my favorite bridge rail pup.  If you close your eyes when you play it, it will sound like a full size bucker, Awesome pickup that doesn't get enough credit.

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum, but I was wondering... I just recently installed a full set of DiMarzio rail pickups (Chopper neck/Fast Track 1 middle/Fast Track 2 bridge) in my Strat (alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, vintage style 6-point trem) and I can't decide on what I think about the Fast Track 2 in the bridge.

On one hand, the lead tone is the most beautiful I've ever heard (with my playing anyway, lol), but I can't figure out how much I like the rhythm tone. I think I was expecting more mid/low end gut punch from it based on the description from DiMarzio's website, but to me, this is a super tight, bright sounding pickup.

Although it's somewhat subtle, I hear an almost "cocked wah" tone. Maybe it's supposed to have that slight "aw" sound, or maybe not. This is my first time experiencing this pickup.

All that to say, this makes for an incredible lead tone like I said earlier, but I just don't know if it's right for my rhythm playing.

(EDIT: I also just realized how old this thread was, but I was just searching for advice. Sorry about that!)

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 10:35:41 PM »
The Fast Track/Chopper?pro Track series are all great pickups.

Currently I'm torn between either a Duncan Hot Rails or a Fast Track 2 for a start that i want to rock and tap for single coil goodness.

The Fast Track in parallel gets a lot of good buzz for chill single tones…

Offline jrbowen81

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 11:12:27 PM »

The Fast Track/Chopper?pro Track series are all great pickups.

Currently I'm torn between either a Duncan Hot Rails or a Fast Track 2 for a start that i want to rock and tap for single coil goodness.

The Fast Track in parallel gets a lot of good buzz for chill single tones…

Now you've got me wanting to change my wiring to where my 2 mini switches are for series/parallel on the neck and bridge. I just might!

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 07:18:51 PM »
PArrallel for smoking hot pups is highly underused.

If you have never wired up an X2N that way - you are missing out.

Offline jrbowen81

• View Profile
Fast Track 2 Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 07:20:58 PM »
PArrallel for smoking hot pups is highly underused.

If you have never wired up an X2N that way - you are missing out.

My only DiMarzios are what I've got in my Strat right now, but I'm anxious to try parallel on my Chopper and FT2.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:19:20 PM by jrbowen81 »

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 11:38:48 AM »
Might go push pulls for low key look.  OR two mini switches are kinda simple idiot proof…

All down, straight ahead,
up = tap
up = Parallel

I'm likely going switch just because it says "hack beater" on my Kramer Strat

Don't know about Chopper parallel - might be a cool tone.

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 09:05:57 AM »
Both chopper and ft2 sound good on parallel. Single-coil-y but still loud (not so loud as in series). Now to the guy above that thinks FT2 is brittle, how about connecting the bridge to the mid tone pot? I have this mod and I like it + the tone pot while in parallel works really great. I have :
- in series/parallel switching (push/pull) for chopper/ft2
- add bridge in all positions mod (mini toggle)
- bridge tone mod, while retaining the rest of functions of 5-way + pots

Offline jrbowen81

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 09:27:25 AM »

Both chopper and ft2 sound good on parallel. Single-coil-y but still loud (not so loud as in series). Now to the guy above that thinks FT2 is brittle, how about connecting the bridge to the mid tone pot? I have this mod and I like it + the tone pot while in parallel works really great. I have :
- in series/parallel switching (push/pull) for chopper/ft2
- add bridge in all positions mod (mini toggle)
- bridge tone mod, while retaining the rest of functions of 5-way + pots

Sorry, I forgot to come back and clarify that the Fast Track 2 is sounding much, much better to me now, partly because my ears have become accustomed to it, but also because of 2 other things:

1. This pickup needs my particular amp to be turned up a bit louder to help the low end come through.

2. This pickup is far more sensitive to my pick attack than anything I have used before. Now that I know how to "play" the FT2, it's pretty incredible.

Also, currently I have mine set up like this:

Chopper- neck
Fast Track 1- middle
Fast Track 2- bridge

Volume pot- YJM 500k low friction

Tone 1- CTS 250k (controlling neck/middle)

Tone 2- CTS 250k (bridge only)

DPDT 2-way on-on mini toggle (coil split neck/bridge)

DPDT 2-way on-on mini toggle (neck-on/"7 sound Strat" switch)

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 01:58:00 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to come back and clarify that the Fast Track 2 is sounding much, much better to me now, partly because my ears have become accustomed to it, but also because of 2 other things:

1. This pickup needs my particular amp to be turned up a bit louder to help the low end come through.

2. This pickup is far more sensitive to my pick attack than anything I have used before. Now that I know how to "play" the FT2, it's pretty incredible.

Chopper- neck
Fast Track 1- middle
Fast Track 2- bridge

Glad for you man, nice setup! I have also Chopper/FT1/FT2 config!

hmm, is coil splitting better than parallel? Is it substantially weaker?

Offline jrbowen81

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 02:36:50 PM »

Chopper- neck
Fast Track 1- middle
Fast Track 2- bridge

Glad for you man, nice setup! I have also Chopper/FT1/FT2 config!

hmm, is coil splitting better than parallel? Is it substantially weaker?

That's what I'm curious about myself. I've only tried coil split, and there is a substantial drop in volume and power. Wanting to try parallel just to see what happens.