Humbucker From Hell

• 43 Replies

Offline mi2tom

• I love playing guitar :D
    • View Profile
Re: Humbucker From Hell
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 04:00:58 AM »
Who says the HFH is too silent? I've played it and I installed it on my yamaha, it can be louder than the tone zone.

Echad

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 04:50:13 AM »
Oh, so it can be used with anything - as long as the heights are concerned... Thanks for the info.

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 03:02:17 AM »
Its funny all the Humbuckers from Hell up for sale on Ebay from people thinking it was an all out brutal humbucker.
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »
Its funny all the Humbuckers from Hell up for sale on Ebay from people thinking it was an all out brutal humbucker.

Actually, all of the HfH's on eBay seem to be from authorized DiMarzio dealers that sell on eBay. Banjomikez ALWAYS has a huge stock of pickups available.

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 10:30:02 AM »
I was poking around looking at hollowbody Ibanezes and found this sound clip that was share-worthy.  Ibanez AS73 hollowbody with dual HFHs.  I'm not a jazz player but could really appreciate the jazz tone he's got going on.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=6995632&q=hi&newref=1
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

seedlings

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 01:23:45 PM »
HFH sounds very much like a single coil.  Snappy and bright with an inductance of 2.47H.

Brief sound sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMS8ykeyP14

CHAD

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »
It's funny with people thinking its a weak pickup, or doesnt balance well with a hotter pickup like the TZ. IMO Petruccis best tones (I&W and Awake) was a Tone Zone and a HFH. Killer epic progressive metal tones.

Offline Octacoil

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2020, 03:00:03 PM »
I had bad experience with humbucker from hell in a 22 fret alder strat. Sounds muddy and doesn't cut through live. That guitar have steve's special bridge. Its like the guitar switches off whenever I use the neck pickup clean or overdriven.
7 String: Blaze, Illuminator, IBZ
Humbucker: Breed, Evolution, Fred, Norton, PAF Joe, Humbucker from Hell, PAF Master, CrunchLab, Illuminator, Titan, Transition, Gravity Storm, Dark Matter 2.
Single: Fast Track 2, VV Heavy Blues 2, Injector, ISCV2, HS2, Cruiser
P.S. I only use Dimarzio pickups :P

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2020, 01:26:19 PM »
My experience with it over the years is that it is nothing like a single coil and 100% just a low wind humbucker tone.   The duncan full shred neck does a better job at what dimarzio describes, especially with the pole piece mod I posted in the mod forum. 

Wish that wasn't true, because I'm generally a dimarzio guy and I can get them in more colors and cheaper.  Sadly, this pickup just does not cut it as a bright/tight single coilish humbucker, there are better options.

The ultimate, though it only comes covered, is the fralin twangbucker.  Wound to 9k turns in the neck position it has enough power to play nicely with a bridge humbucker, and it is bright and tight in the way the hfh claims, but sadly, is not.  Tracks fast playing like a champ.  Can still sound 'traditional' with a .0022uf tone control rolled back as well.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2020, 11:13:26 PM »
My experience with it over the years is that it is nothing like a single coil and 100% just a low wind humbucker tone.   The duncan full shred neck does a better job at what dimarzio describes, especially with the pole piece mod I posted in the mod forum. 

Wish that wasn't true, because I'm generally a dimarzio guy and I can get them in more colors and cheaper.  Sadly, this pickup just does not cut it as a bright/tight single coilish humbucker, there are better options.

The ultimate, though it only comes covered, is the fralin twangbucker.  Wound to 9k turns in the neck position it has enough power to play nicely with a bridge humbucker, and it is bright and tight in the way the hfh claims, but sadly, is not.  Tracks fast playing like a champ.  Can still sound 'traditional' with a .0022uf tone control rolled back as well.

Would sound single coil like IMO if you dial in a bright tone, and then pick and strum harder

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2020, 04:30:55 PM »

Would sound single coil like IMO if you dial in a bright tone, and then pick and strum harder
[/quote]

The high end might, but it would still lack the tight low end.

There are much better options if a single coil ish bucker is what you're after.  Hfh is a really old design, would like to see dimarzio take another crack at it.

Offline Ayrton

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2021, 10:20:57 PM »
The HFH is by far my favorite neck DiMarzio. Works very well in the neck of a vintage style Telecaster.
-Chris

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2022, 05:54:25 AM »
Overall it definitely does not sound like a single coil - way too much bottom end. To me it sounds like a PAF with an extended treble and high end (which is fine btw), and that extended high end may be what some perceive as "single coil tone".

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline mmmguitar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2022, 02:19:05 PM »
Overall it definitely does not sound like a single coil - way too much bottom end. To me it sounds like a PAF with an extended treble and high end (which is fine btw), and that extended high end may be what some perceive as "single coil tone".

I had a similar impression of the EJ Custom. I get that EJ asked Steve to wind a PAF-style HB that would make his Les Paul sound like a Gretsch but it, the HFH, and Bluesbucker each have their own vibe, rather than sounding like facsimiles of a Filtertron, hot single coil, or P90 (as the marketing dept has variously claimed over the years).