Confused about North and South poles on Ibanez HSH wiring diagram

• 3 Replies

Offline Piing

• View Profile
My J.Custom with AirNorton / True Velvet / Tone Zone and VLX91 switch is wired like this:

• I understand that with Dimarzio pickups Red/Black are North, and Green/White are South
  • In positions 2 and 4, White/Black are connected to Ground, and Red to volume pot
  • Therefore, it is theoretically using the North coil. But it should be the South coil!

If I tap the coils with a screwdriver on pos 2 and 4, it is actually using the South coil, as intended.

What part of my assumption is wrong?
I've seen other schematics where Black goes to ground, Red/Green are together, and White is used as hot. That makes more sense to me.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 11:38:58 AM by Piing »

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: Confused about North and South poles on Ibanez HSH wiring diagram
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 04:35:45 PM »
Hello,
if you tap on the Coils with the screwdriver in positions 2 and 4, is it the Screw Coil or the Slug Coil being active? It should be the Slug coil (North) according to the schematic.
Regards,
Jörg

Offline Piing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 12:53:50 AM »
Hello,
if you tap on the Coils with the screwdriver in positions 2 and 4, is it the Screw Coil or the Slug Coil being active? It should be the Slug coil (North) according to the schematic.
Regards,
Jörg

Thank you for your reply, Jörg

If I tap the coils on pos 3 and 4, the active coil is the slug type. As intended

So, shall I assume that the Screw side is always the South and the Slug the North?

I think that now I understand my confusion: I thought that the North Pole was always at the top, and the South at the bottom. But it seems like that it is inverted for the neck pickup, since the slug poles are at the bottom

This is my guitar:

Now I am going to replace the Tone Zone (bridge) with a Satchur8 DP273FBK that doesn't have screw/slug. All poles are adjustable with hex key. Shall I assume that the North (black/red wires) is at the top when I orient the wires output towards the control cavity?

Thank you and regards,
Manuel
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 01:02:59 AM by Piing »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 01:16:32 AM »
So, shall I assume that the Screw side is always the South and the Slug the North?

I think that now I understand my confusion: I thought that the North Pole was always at the top, and the South at the bottom. But it seems like that it is inverted for the neck pickup, since the slug poles are at the bottom

Shall I assume that the North (black/red wires) is at the top when I orient the wires output towards the control cavity?

Hi, your assumptions are correct. Slug is always North and Screw (or the coil at the side where the cable enters the base plate) always South.

Regards,
Jörg