EBMM Steve Morse - suggestions for replacing slanted neck single coil pickup

• 5 Replies

Offline appar111

• View Profile
Hey guys! Looking for some suggestions for a replacement pickup for the slanted neck single coil on my Morse Standard. I upgraded the pots to 500K, and I'm digging the sound of everything better right now, except the neck single. It's just too weak sounding compared to the others.

I replaced it with a Dimarzio Fast Track 1, but it sounds too dull. Looking for something that hits harder but is nice and bright, but I know that higher output singles usually end up having more high end roll off.

Currently looking at a Dimarzio Area 67, Injector Neck, FS-1 or possibly even the SDS-1. Also looking at the Suhr V70. Noise-cancelling not a priority, but I wouldn't mind it either.

Any other suggestions for something bright, punchy, but also loud for this particular position? It's literally half way between a neck position and a middle position, so getting the voicing and output right is tricky.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
Have you considered the DP409 (Heavy Blues 2)? It works nice with 500k pots, has enough output to keep up with humbuckers, and has a LOT of character. Think of it as a noiseless, hotter, version of a Texas Special with more umph.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline appar111

• View Profile
I had briefly considered that one, but wondered if it would be too thick sounding or muddy in that particular position on this guitar. Seems as though the injector neck might fall into that same category of possibly being too thick sounding. Output-wise it should be perfect though.

Offline mmmguitar

• View Profile
Are you using that pickup position as intended by Morse (to add some funk and spank when combined with the other pickups), or are you seeking to find a pickup that stands out on its own?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Are you using that pickup position as intended by Morse (to add some funk and spank when combined with the other pickups), or are you seeking to find a pickup that stands out on its own?

I agree this is the right question to ask.

Independently from this - if you are looking for something bright yet with solid output, Injector neck or Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 would be my choice. Injector neck is the brighter of the two. HB2 would be fatter. Both work very well with 500k pots.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline appar111

• View Profile

Looking for something that will stand out on its own.  I swapped the 3-way switch for a 5-way so I'm getting a lot of the combination sounds that way.