So this may peeve off some Dragonforce fans but....

• 6 Replies

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
So this may peeve off some Dragonforce fans but....
« on: February 19, 2021, 03:56:31 PM »
So back in '07 one of the other motorcycle techs at work heard me play and introduced me to Dragon Force via the Fire and Flames video. I went and bought the disc because I thought to myself, "Finally! Guitar heroism is back!" Then I listened to the disc. While I still like Fire and Flames, it just seemed to me that every song was somehow Fire and Flames 2.0, 3.0, and finally a sort of power ballad type song. And then it occurred to me that the list of guitar heroes, or guys that I considered great guitarists all did something else on top of guitar playing. They had a catalog of songs that while in the same style, did somehow differ from one another. Sometimes greatly sometimes not so differently, but enough that it didn't feel like I was listening to the same song over and over and over again.

Today, I decided to take a look and see what happened to them. Surprisingly, they still seemed to be pretty busy. I only looked it up to see what happened with the Ibby endorsement as their models hadn't been in the lineup for some time now. When I read Li's comments, I thought about how a lot of us called b.s. on Nita Strauss' "Oh I FINALLY got the guitar I had in my head with this signature model" which to me looks like every other S series with some personalized appointments like the pickups and the inlay. Kind of the same thing but the opposite. "I left Ibanez because I need something more advanced and they just couldn't keep up with what I demanded in a guitar design". A little later in his quote he talked about how he doesn't buy guitars.

I then thought about how all of us pretty much concurred that Nita could have probably easily found 5 or 6 axes from the rack that would have suited her needs. Now this guy is no longer endorsed and is claiming almost the same thing while making the statement that he doesn't pay for guitars, they get sent to him for free. I guess I am just missing something, or misinterpreting the whole statement because he really came of as "dicky" for lack of a better term.

If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: So this may peeve off some Dragonforce fans but....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 08:11:56 PM »
I wondered what happened to the Ibanez E-Gen model. I'm not surprised that he left Ibanez although I really wonder what kind of guitar he's looking for. Tosin Abasi also left Ibanez for similar. You can read more about it here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/tosin_abasi_explains_why_he_left_ibanez_guitars__what_frustrated_him_talks_hard_lessons.html

I also found a link where Herman Li talks about leaving Ibanez.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/dragonforces_herman_li_talks_why_he_left_ibanez_explains_what_he_looks_for_in_guitar.html
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 11:37:23 AM »
Both of those guys can blow (I mean that in the jazz sense in that they can tear it down). I just get annoyed when I see those claims like, "They just can progress and keep up with me." It would be nice if they just went, "These guys offered me a better deal. Nothing against my former company, but I got more money, more free swag, more publicity, etc." I thought the Egen was a cool guitar. I find it sort of peculiar that him AND Totman no longer have axes with them.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Ibanez stuff. I have played some models that no matter the price, I couldn't gel with. Then I get a RG450 as a gift and it feels like I have had it for years. I think I actually like the necks on their mid-upper mid level guitars better than the higher priced ones.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 11:07:02 AM »
I actually didn't realize Totman's sig model isn't there anymore either.

Speaking as someone who runs a few businesses and has had similar endorsement deals before, looking back, I realize that ultimately a company would endorse someone with free or discounted goods on the premise that it would help them promote their product in a meaningful way.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 10:40:49 AM »
I get it. I just kind of get annoyed at the same old "story" you get from the endorsees about he newest product they are using. But hey, without that marketing there are a bunch of things that I love that I probably would have either missed or at least not tried. Worst marketing ever? The ads for the Boss Turbo Distortion. No description just a 80s metal chick in a shirt that didn't fit. Got my attention when I was 13, but I never had any idea what the Turbo Distortion actually did. Does it go from zero to fully distorted quicker than any other? I finally tried one and found it to be kind of a hidden gem in their lineup. footswitchable rhythm and lead settings.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 04:26:34 PM »
I get it. I just kind of get annoyed at the same old "story" you get from the endorsees about he newest product they are using. But hey, without that marketing there are a bunch of things that I love that I probably would have either missed or at least not tried. Worst marketing ever? The ads for the Boss Turbo Distortion. No description just a 80s metal chick in a shirt that didn't fit. Got my attention when I was 13, but I never had any idea what the Turbo Distortion actually did. Does it go from zero to fully distorted quicker than any other? I finally tried one and found it to be kind of a hidden gem in their lineup. footswitchable rhythm and lead settings.

Reminds me of the time D'Addario had the ad for their XL's with the slogan s*x selLs
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 03:53:45 PM »
Reminds me of the time D'Addario had the ad for their XL's with the slogan s*x selLs

I remember those ads. Remember the ads for the Blue Steel Dean Markleys? We bring these strings down to 3 million degrees below zero centigrade to realign the molecular makeup of them and then bring them up to a rockin' room temperature so that you have strings that will fetch the newspaper for you. That's not exactly accurate, but I did have to try them out. Used them for a long time and for the life of me don't remember why I quit using them.