PAF 36th vs Duncan '59

• 5 Replies

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
PAF 36th vs Duncan '59
« on: April 02, 2021, 07:38:22 AM »
So I checked out a shootout between the 36th and Duncan '59 last night. Now keeping in mind that when you watch those things you can't see if anyone did any eq doctoring, etc., to make one sound better than the other. That being said in the same guitar, in the same position, The PAF 36th, and it seemed especially true in the neck position just sounded alive compared to the '59. It really has me re-thinking what has been my neck humbucker go to for 20 yrs.

It sounded like a blanket was lifted off of the guitar. Not bright or shrill, but just articulate while still getting that, what I call neck pickup noodliness for lack of a better term. So......Now I have the neck pickup squared away for the RG220. 
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: PAF 36th vs Duncan '59
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »
What you heard sounds about right. I think the 36th does sound more "alive" or 3-D sounding. The 59 lacks mids, so it really needs to be in a guitar that emphasizes mids (like a Gibson SG) to balance it out. The 36th has more mids and works fantastic in a more balanced sounding guitar wood combination, like a Les Paul.
The 36th neck pickup works well with the 36th bridge, and I like it with the Air Zone bridge as well.
I have tried dozens of pickup sets in Les Pauls over the years, and the 36th set ended my search. I have the 36th neck and Air Zone bridge in a mahogany bodied PRS Santana SE.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 12:27:27 PM »
The Air Zone/36th are going in my RG project based on your description. After looking at some vids comparing it to the '59, I am sold. I may end up replacing the PG+/'59 combo in my Big Apple Strat with the 36th set. Time will tell. I have just gotten so used to that combo in that guitar that it's hard to justify changing. At least on THAT guitar that combo just sounds SOOOO good. On second thought, I'm not touching my Big Apple Strat. All others are a different story. That particular guitar, even though I had some real tuning issues with it in the beginning, the tone and neck made the other work (LSR nut and locking tuners) worth it.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 01:04:52 PM »
Another set that I really like and reminds me of the 36th set a bit is the Seymour Duncan A2Pro Slash Signature Set.

The Paf Pro and Paf Joe also work well with the Air Zone bridge.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 11:48:10 AM »
I actually like the AII Pro Slash set as well as the AII Pro. Another I like from Seymour is the Custom Custom.

Offline HeyNorton!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 08:49:01 PM »
The 36th neck works great with alot of pickups.

I've used it with a super distortion, a norton, a d'activator, and the 36th bridge.

It is one of my favorite humbuckers.