Weird choice for middle pickup?

• 4 Replies

Offline jimnmissy1111.js

• View Profile
Weird choice for middle pickup?
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:51:19 PM »
I have an ibanez rg5ex1 body and neck that I picked up at goodwill for 5 dollars...yes 5 dollars....that is my current project. It is a hsh configuration and I have a fred for the bridge and an evolution for the neck. I am thinking about forgoing the traditional strat style single coil in the middle position for a tele neck pickup instead. Anyone tried this before and have opinions?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Weird choice for middle pickup?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 03:55:09 AM »
When I wanted to add to single coils to a single humbucker guitar I was talked into choosing two tele neck pickups by the luthier who did the job, claiming that the string spacing would match better on that guitar. He was right on the spacing but the whole project did not turn out as I wanted it. The tele neck pickups were much too weak and there was no way they could keep up with the humbucker. They sounded weak, thin and brittle.

I have yet to find a tele neck pickup that has strong output. Even the Area T neck, which is otherwise a good sounding pickup (see my comments in the "everything you wanted to know"-section) is pretty low output. So I definitely would avoid a tele neck pickup as middle pickup between two humbuckers.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 10:55:46 AM »
Yeah. A tele neck pickup isn't going to keep up with even the lowest power humbuckers. Just look at the output specs on the Dimarzio website.

Offline jimnmissy1111.js

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »
Thanks guys. I was too focused on tone and fogetting completely about output. Love this forum

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 07:34:42 PM »
I use the Area 67 with a Fred bridge and Humbucker from Hell neck.