Wiring stacked hum as a single coil

• 12 Replies

DNG67

Wiring stacked hum as a single coil
« on: October 31, 2017, 07:16:35 PM »
Hey mates, i have the Virtual Vintage 2.2 in the middle position of my guitar. The bridge pickup is the Pro Track which already splits spectacular with the VV 2.2 but in the neck i have also the VV 2.2 and for some reason i don't like the split with the other 2.2. It seems to me that it lacks some treble and loses a big part of the so-called "quack".

I would like to know if there is a way to wire the middle 2.2 as a single coil.
(I took the idea from Eric Jonson of course who did this in the past to his HS - i think - with great results.)

I don't mind the hum because i rarely use the middle position as it is but i use very often the 2 & 4 positions.
Is it worth the effort to use it and to come closer to a single single coil ?
Any help?

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
Re: Wiring stacked hum as a single coil
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 07:22:54 PM »
It sounds like a single coil already. To get those quack tones you want a bright sounding middle pickup.

Because of the way the VV is made, switching off the bottom coil won’t change the tone very much.

I use dual rail pickups in the middle and neck and get a good quack tone, which I hardy ever use. Lol. Not a fan of that tone for my own playing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DNG67

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 05:42:24 AM »
Yes, it sounds "like" a single coil but it's not a single coil. And it's really bright sounding. According to Dimarzio it has treble 9, middle 4.5 and bass 4, so it's a bright pup.
Maybe it's the way of it's construction.
Thanks for your input man!
Anybody else?

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 06:52:18 AM »
Can't comment on the Virtual Vintage, but I never liked  the middle pickup on it's own either. Then I read about Eris Johnson using a HS-2 wired for only one coil, and tried it in that position. It's superb. I'm a middle-on-its-own convert.

DNG67

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 08:55:48 AM »
Thanks my friend! how it splits? is it better than it was before?

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 08:15:22 PM »
I have it permanently wired split. With a stacked PUP, split is LOUDER than humbucking. It is bright and chimey, just what you need in that position.

marcwormjim

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 05:44:12 AM »
DiMarzio used to recommend the split HS-2 in place of the Evo middle back when the OEM contract prevented their sale. My two cents is to suggest trying both; and see if one has more of what you need.

DNG67

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »
Hey guys, thanks! Actually, i have the HS-3 and HS-1 but not the HS-2... ;D
I'll try first the VV 2.2 (after all, it's already installed) and then the HS-1 as it has the lowest output and i think it's better for this position!

Offline DavidSchwab

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
Yes, it sounds "like" a single coil but it's not a single coil. And it's really bright sounding. According to Dimarzio it has treble 9, middle 4.5 and bass 4, so it's a bright pup.

Explain the difference between sounding like a single coil and not being a single coil.

Explain why that matters. I'll just assume you have no answer to that. I'm a pickup maker, so I'm not just voicing my opinion. 

It makes no difference in this situation.

Also you want it bright sounding. I'd guess it's the other pickup you are pairing with it that's preventing the quack tone. The two pickups should have a similar frequency response.

But keep looking for answers you like lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcwormjim

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 11:45:39 PM »

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 04:05:27 PM »
Because of the way the VV is made, switching off the bottom coil won’t change the tone very much.

Actually that isn't as true with VVs as it is with Areas.   I used to get RP VVs for this purpose and it does make a difference when split and in parallel.

To split it, run the black/white wires to ground, red is hot. If you need to reverse that so you're in phase with the other pickup, black/white = hot, red ground. 

Offline kefka84

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 12:38:45 PM »
Hello,
I would like to wire a HS3 like a true single coil, like Yngwie permanently, without mini-switch.

Could you please tell me if this is correct?

red > 3 way switch (hot)
black > volume pot (ground)
bare wire > volume pot (ground)
white > not connected, taped alone.
green > not connected, taped alone.

I'm not sure about the red and black, because on this diagram they are reversed.
https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/WDGM1_PAFPro_GreenMeanie_HSH_0.pdf

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2022, 03:51:53 AM »
This should be correct. If you reverse black and red, you change the polarity of the pickup which may be necessary if it is out of phase when used with another pickup.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b