Anyone have experience with DP191 in Neck and DP193 in the Bridge?

• 2 Replies

speakz

Greetings Everyone,

I am new to the forum and a recent first time Dimarzio User.  I have tried the 36th anniversary set which I liked but I am looking for something less dark.  Tonally I am targeting something that does Santana/Anastasio type tones well.  I have tried SD 59's but found the bridge to sharp in the treble and a little too weak.   Something with the power of the 36th Bridge with fatness but brighter, slightly less output, and slightly less mids.  For the neck I like the SD' 59 neck but want something  similar by Dimarzio as I have really been digging the airbucker overtones, softening effect it has on the A5 magnet and the sustain.

I am wondering if the titled combo suggested under the Air Norton description would target this tonally for those that have experience with these?

Any ideas that would also get the described tone would also be appreciated.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Anyone have experience with DP191 in Neck and DP193 in the Bridge?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 05:42:34 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't work. The Air Classic has always been a great sounding neck pickup and although the Air Norton is mostly used in the neck pickup, it really is just the "air" version of the Norton which is a bridge pickup. I've had one guitar come my way to have an Air Norton installed in the bridge position and if I recall it didn't sound that bad. It's been a while though but sonically, it's going to be a big, warm and fat.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have experience with DP191 in Neck and DP193 in the Bridge?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 08:35:46 AM »
Never used the Air Classic but I have used the Air Norton in the bridge position of two different guitars. One was a strat in HSS format where I used the stock 250k pots. In that context the Air Norton worked very well - fat single notes on the top strings and still a bit of twang on the low strings. The other guitar was a Les Paul with the standard 500k pots where it worked OK until I changed the bridge for a brighter sounding one. The neck pickup (at that time a Bluesbucker) benefitted from the change but the Air Norton became thin sounding. I could potentially have solved the issue by adding a resistor to the bridge volume pot but I swapped pickups instead. So I would say it depends on the guitar and the application.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b