Which set of Dimarzios for a Gilmore-ish style

• 6 Replies

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
Which set of Dimarzios for a Gilmore-ish style
« on: March 14, 2016, 01:03:53 AM »
Looking to convert one of my strats into a Gilmore - Floyd style. Any suggestions?
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Re: Which set of Dimarzios for a Gilmore-ish style
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:35:48 PM »
Hey, big Gilmour fan here, and I'd say it's safe to suggest you get a FS-1 for that Strat's bridge. This is the pickup Gilmour used during the recording of "The Wall" in '79 before he switched to using Seymour Duncan's SSL-5. I have the SSL-5 in the bridge of my American Standard Strat from 2013 and I am thinking of swapping it for the FS-1. I am a fan of his tone from that 80's and on period, and I heard the FS-1 is grittier, brighter and not as "warm" as the SSL-5, which suits my taste as far as tones go.

As far as single coils go, you can get the Fender Fat 50's like his signature Strat has, or get two SSL-1's from Duncan. I think he has a SSL-1 in the neck. I am not as familiar with Dimarzio singles as I am with their hums, I'm sure others will be more helpful in that regard.
"I don't understand what's wrong with this amp, even with the gain all the way up the tone is still muddy as hell"

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 04:02:45 PM »
If you're looking for noiseless there's always the Area Strat set.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 03:51:02 AM »
If you're looking for noiseless there's always the Area Strat set.

Indeed. Area 67 for the neck should do it nicely. I would opt for a stronger bridge pickup such as the Virtual Solo. Middle - Area 67 or 58, maybe VV 54 Pro (but I have not yet tried the VV 54 Pro there).

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Steve K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 12:46:57 PM »
If your talking early 70's floyd then the Area pickups are the one's your looking for,Definately with a 67 in the neck.

Offline slim_blues_boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 10:28:47 PM »
as already mentioned, David used FS-1 during mid to late 70s. I actually like FS-1 better than the SSL-5, perhaps because my favorite David's tone was on the Animal album.
the FS-1 also can be good neck pickup, paired with hot bridge pickup such as SDS-1 which also great pickup, underatted one as I rarely found discussion about it. but then it was for another kind of sounds.

back to Gilmour, for neck and mid, you can use any vintage sounding pickup as those beautiful Gilmour's sounds mostly came from the bridge pickup.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 05:31:50 AM »
I thought have though the Area 58 would be better for the neck and middle?