Just ordered 4 DiMarzios - what am I in for?

• 8 Replies

Offline Schneidas

• View Profile
Just ordered 4 DiMarzios - what am I in for?
« on: March 09, 2016, 05:22:39 AM »
Ok, it has been a long time but after a few personal issues have been sorted out, I'm back at guitar playing and the DiMarzio camp.

Just ordered:

Illuminator neck and Illuminator bridge for a crazy dual-humbucking Tele (1-piece Honduran Mahogany body / LP-scale Honduran Mahogany neck with quilt Maple fingerboard).

Fred with Breed neck (DP165) - for another crazy dual-humbucking Tele (same specs as the first, just different color)

I pretty much ordered these blindly, based on DiMarzio's descriptions, a few youtube vids and what I know I generally like regarding pickups - and where I wanted to go with these Tele's. Modern heavy one and Modern PAF-style the other.

I'm not set yet if I go Breed bridge and FRED neck or FRED bridge and Breed neck on the second one - let's see.
What am I in for???

Oh yeah, here's a pic of the first Tele - probably slightly different than what is usually being done... not for the faint of heart!
The second Tele is still in the "cutting" stage of the wood  :madness:

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
Re: Just ordered 4 DiMarzios - what am I in for?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 10:15:27 PM »
A lot of soldering?

SWEET freaking axe.  And I hate Teles….

Offline Schneidas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 12:59:56 AM »
lol, touché!!!

thanks - I'm not a Tele guy as well... but I like this one!  :)

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 09:33:38 PM »
I dunno about that Fred Bridge with the Breed Neck. The Breed neck is big fat and warm. The Fred is much brighter and thinner, although it has great growl to it. It could be too big of a contrast, but some people like that for extremes of versatility.

Offline Schneidas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 04:31:46 AM »
Tanks for the reply! :)

Yes, that's why I thought to maybe put the Breed neck in the bridge - so to have a bold, modern PAF tone there and put the FRED in the neck spot. I imagine this could work nicely... (well either that, or sell on of those and replace it with something else)

Offline Aceman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 08:51:13 AM »
First of all, that guitar makes me want to play Dokken for some reason.

I would ask what you are playing through, and what you'll be playing.

As mentioned, that is a pretty wide range guitar.  That's cool if you want a bright bridge, a maximum fat neck, and a in-between both on spot.  Hit some stinging Blues on the bridge, some full on rock in the middle, and some fat jazz on the neck!

Or  - if you switch them, you'll get the maximum balance between the two.  Just depends on what you want!

This is the same as a Duncan Pearly Gates and an A2P  - sounds great either order - depending on what YOU need….

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 07:40:48 PM »
I have an Illuminator set and a Fred bridge.

The illuminators are like a more open, clear, and organic version of the CL/LF set.

A short description of the Fred be that it's like a hot rodded PAF style. More than a vintage  style but not quite a shred pickup. Pretty versatile.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline Schneidas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 08:48:07 AM »
Aceman&Darth thanks!!! That's all great infos!

I'll be playing through my Kemper amp - main;y hot rodded Marshall JVM and JCM sounds!

Sound like the Illuminators are exactly what I'm looking for - a more clear version of the CL/LF combo.

The FRED sounds like it will be right up my alley for a hot rodded modern PAF style pickup.

From your descriptions, I think I did pretty good with both combos... let's see if I prefer the FRED in neck or bridge and the Breed_neck vice versa!

:)

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 05:11:40 AM »
No idea on the proposed pickup combinations but that color is wickedly good. Looking forward to the finished project.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b