Want my Tele to have a SH-4 JB sound

• 3 Replies

Offline antix74

• View Profile
Want my Tele to have a SH-4 JB sound
« on: March 08, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
Yes. Been playing a Strat with SH-4 all my life but recently got a Tele which I love in terms of look and feel. I want it to have a SH-4 JB sound without having to rout for a full humbucker. I believe maybe DiMarzio might have what I'm looking for even though I've never played a single DiMarzio my whole life.

Any advice to what Tele pickup would be the best choice for me. Doing some research the Chopper T seemed very promising but in the end I worry it might be too low output to compete with a SH-4?

I guess Super Distortion T and Tone Zone T would be my other options.

Any advice?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Want my Tele to have a SH-4 JB sound
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 01:52:25 AM »
I'd say try the Chopper T. The SH-4 isn't exactly a really high output pickup. It's a medium output at best (similar to the AT-1 which from what I remember was very similar to SH-4).
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline antix74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 11:43:34 AM »
Thank you for the advice! Everything I read about the Chopper reminded me somewhat of the JB until somehow explained it as pretty low output, but you're correct. The JB isn't concidered a very high output pickup either. I think I will go for it.

Is it ok to sand down the black rails to expose the metal rails? I líke the rails look better than the black on black.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 10:28:55 AM »
As regards the tonal choice I think the Chopper T is a solid one.

As regards the blades - no idea to be honest. I would not recommend it. You will definitely lose the warranty on a new pickup by doing this.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b