Dimazrio Humbucker from Hell vs EJ Custom vs Duncan Jazz

• 3 Replies

DanielMapleSG

Dimazrio Humbucker from Hell vs EJ Custom vs Duncan Jazz
« on: June 16, 2015, 09:09:26 PM »
I have a Gibson SG that is all mahogany with a rosewood fingerboard. The tone is too dark and I want to get it as bright as possible away from all the mud. I'm having trouble deciding between 3 sets to put in it. The Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell (same model in the neck and bridge) is supposed to give a single coil sound. The EJ Custom set is supposed to give a faux-Gretsch filtertron sound. The Duncan Jazz Bridge and Neck are supposed to be very clear and bright. I want to know which of these are the best for getting away from the muddy sound of the SG and getting more clarity and brightness. Any advice, experience, and information would be helpful. Thanks.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Dimazrio Humbucker from Hell vs EJ Custom vs Duncan Jazz
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:32:15 PM »
The humbucker from hell does not sound like a single coil. It will rid you of the mud problem. I use it in a PRS that had a muddy neck problem. The Jazz will do the same, and is more of a traditional PAF sound than the HFH. The HFH does high gain better. I wouldn't use the HFH in the bridge position. You could go with a PAF PRO.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:44:09 PM »
I only have experience with the Jazz neck and Humbucker from Hell in the neck. IME, Jazz neck sounds more like an earlier style PAF. Still PAF sounding, but more open and clear than say a more modern PAF equivalent. As for the Humbucker from Hell, it depends on what guitar you install it in, what amp you are using, and how you dial your amp in. Sometimes it can sound open and clear like an acoustic guitar, other times it can sounds somewhat stratty

IMO, get the Humbucker from Hell in the neck and PAF Pro in the bridge

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 11:59:06 PM »
HFH:  Bright highs, woody lows.  Jazz: Traditional PAF, brighter side of things but not much.  EJs;  Not filtertrons at all.  Just low wind PAFs.  Another thing you might consider is the Duncan Full Shred.  The neck version is fantastic, bright, no mud, not skimpy on the output either.