Right combination for my Fender Strat

• 6 Replies

Offline scias23

• View Profile
Right combination for my Fender Strat
« on: June 08, 2015, 11:10:04 PM »
My tones are primarily cleans, funk and overdrive, but I want to cover some high gain tones as well occasionally for some songs we do.

I'm currently looking for a Injector neck/bridge and Area 67. Is this the right combo? I still want some stratty sound for my cleans and some funk tone but I want also humbucker tonality for my overdrives and high gain tones.

This is my only guitar, so I want to cover a lot of tones. I put out a lot of money for this as this is a US made Fender. Can't afford to buy another humbucker guitar.

Thanks

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Right combination for my Fender Strat
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 10:21:37 AM »
I have experience with the Injector neck (in the neck position) and the Area 67 (in the middle and neck positions).

What the Injector neck does well is to provide a strat tone in the neck position that works well with a 500k volume control and keeps up in power with a stronger bridge pickup. What it does not do is give you a humbucker like tone - it is still single coil all the way.

No experience with the Injector bridge but with the (spec wise) slightly hotter Virtual Solo. That pickup is also single coil all the way and does not give you a humbucker tone. So my guess is if the Virtual Solo does not do that the Injector bridge won't do it either. You may get close enough though (have you read buddroyce's excellent review in the Everything you wanted to know - section?). I think the Chopper does the humbucking tones better than the Virtual Solo - at the expense of losing some aspects of the strat single coil tone.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:48:29 AM »
I've used all of the Area and Virtual Vintage pickups that Dimarzio offers.

The Virtual Solo is definitely a single coil tone, but what it can do for you is give you quite a bit of "chunk" in the bridge position that you normally wouldn't expect from a single coil. It also sounds smoother for runs up the neck. But it still gets stratty. I would point you there for versatility.

In the neck and middle, I'd say it's more about what kind of output you want. Based on what you are saying, I'd go for a 61 in the neck and 67 in the middle. They will excel for your clean stuff, and still be able to pour it on when you need to crank the gain.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline scias23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 09:29:34 PM »
Would rolling off the tone pot make the pickup sound like a humbucker?

Offline Matt_B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:40:13 PM »
Would rolling off the tone pot make the pickup sound like a humbucker?
No. That will just make it sound like a slightly darker single coil.

Offline scias23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 12:55:23 AM »
Would it work if I'll put a humbucker sounding bridge and neck and a stratty middle? If so, what pickup combination might work?

Offline Amplifuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 12:24:32 PM »
Try Chopper in the bridge and Fast Track 1 in the neck, keep the original 250k pots and the original central single, have the circuit split the right coil in the 2 and 4 positions so they remain humcancelling.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:03:38 AM by Amplifuzz »