Does the split pickup position matter?

• 5 Replies

gearjunkie

Does the split pickup position matter?
« on: May 19, 2015, 07:32:38 PM »
What I mean is: when you split a neck humbucker for the "quack" with the middle pickup in position 4 of a 5 way toggle does it make a difference if you use the coil closest to the neck or the coil closest to the middle? (My guitar is wired for the coil closest to the middle pickup)

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
Re: Does the split pickup position matter?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »
YES.  It matters A LOT for neck/middle or neck/bridge.

Always use the humbucker coil farthest from the middle pickup if you want legit quack.  Depending on the polarity of your middle pup, you may need to reverse the magnet on the bridge bucker to get it to hum cancel with the bridge side coil.

gearjunkie

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:18:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply Ray. I suspected that and wondered why the stock config used the coil closest to the middle. I'm swapping out pickups and Ive looked at alot of schematics for wiring HSH (various ibanez models) I can't find a schematic for the S5570Q I figured it'd be much the same as the other S guitars. But I can't see how to change the coil because all the diagrams show the middle wires connected together and brought to the selector switch. And yeah the middle pickup is a proper middle reverse wound single coil. (Dimarzio True Velvet) the neck will be an Air Norton. Anyone out there know how to go about changing the coil that's used in the split position?

Offline winger

• View Profile
    • Ice4bikes
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 07:13:25 AM »

Basically the wiring in the above image selects the other coil when split.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:16:55 AM by winger »
John

gearjunkie

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 07:51:10 PM »
Thanks Winger. So is this for Dimarzio wiring or generic? I can cross reference the colours if not. So do you also know if this has any effect on the sound of the humbucker itself when it isn't split or should it be the same? Thanks again

Offline winger

• View Profile
    • Ice4bikes
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:37:59 AM »
According to the site I pulled the diagram from it doesn't alter the full humbucker tone.
They state to use DMZ wiring colors in their diagrams.

http://www.1728.org/guitar7.htm
John