How to get the typical neck + middle sound

• 5 Replies

mark.eurlings

How to get the typical neck + middle sound
« on: May 17, 2015, 04:15:04 AM »
Hi I have a stat lying around that has a few things I really like, and some I really hate.
It has its original fender noiseless neck and middle puzzled and a chopper bridge (with optional coil splitting in a push pull knob). All the pots are 500k

Plus: neck feel, and awesome transparent real finish.also the bridge tone and the neck plus middle together is nice. What I dislike is the terrible tone suck when I only move volume slightly from 100%. The neck and middle on their own are very uninspiring.

My favorite guitar at the moment is a g&l s-500. I really like the tones, the range of tones, the useable volume control.

I play clean, low and mid gain.never high gain stuff. The most dirty I need is to get some rock rhythm sound.

I am now thinking how to make the stat into a useful guitar by changing the wiring to g&l style and replace the neck and middle pickup as well. What combination would work with the chopper (volume wise) and still have the a typical neck plus middle sound?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
Re: How to get the typical neck + middle sound
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »
Area 58 neck & middle or 58 neck/67 middle.  I have the former combo in a legacy with a chopper in the bridge.  I don't even need to split or parallel the chopper for position 2, it quacks just fine.

mark.eurlings

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 03:24:34 AM »
Thank you

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 07:51:17 AM »
IMO, go for more traditional sounding pickups in the neck and middle to get that typical neck and middle tone

mark.eurlings

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 07:30:25 AM »
Thank you. Any Specific types you think of? And would these match with a chopper in the bridge?

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 07:17:23 PM »
The aforementioned '58 & '67 are very traditional sounding.  '61 and '54 would be a little darker, but still traditional.