Stacked or Rails? Big difference? Suggestions?

• 7 Replies

Offline boardn10

• View Profile
Stacked or Rails? Big difference? Suggestions?
« on: May 07, 2015, 11:28:29 AM »
Sorry to bring this up again, but this is the last time before I take the plunge!

I guess that is the issue with me - I am not, nor have I ever been a fan of single coil pickups. I hate playing them. I am not a fan of quack. Maybe I would prefer my middle and neck pickups be a mix of single and humbucker, but more humbucker-ish, maybe even P90-ish?

Now I often hear that stacked is a bad design and also sound more single coil than rail pickups. I hear rails are more humbucker than single.

I use a 500K volume and two stock 250 tone pots.

I do not like anything to sound hi-fi. That has been keeping me away from the Cruiser and Fast Track. I am thinking of a newer rail design like the DiMarzio Satch Track or the Chopper.

Maybe the bridge Air Zone, which I have - will work well with a Chopper and Satch Track.
Not being a single coil fan and actually tend to prefer the warmer split tones I get out of my PRS CE-22, than any singles I have had in my strats. If I can find the perfect P90 type stacked or rail pickups or the perfect blend of humbucker and single coil.

I don't like a weak pickup in the middle, like some players. I am not a fan of in between position tones, unless I am playing a Gibson or two humbucking guitar - then I enjoy the middle inbetween tones. I like having the bridwe - middle - neck, all being a bit different proving different tones. I know the position alone will impart its tonal character, so I am really saying that I only use those 3 positions on a strat. I tend to prefer hot bridge, lower output middle and lowest output neck. Having the same output or identical pickups in the middle and neck is fine as well!

I like the middle pickup to be slightly less output than the bridge pickup and the neck to be less output than the middle pickup. I like to be able to use all 3 pickups for clean to mean!

These are my thoughts - Bridge - Middle - Neck:

Air Zone - Chopper - Fast Track 1
Air Zone - Chopper - Satch Track
Air Zone - Satch Track - Fast Track 1
Air Zone - Satch Track - Satch Track
Air Zone - Injector bridge or Neck - Injector Neck

Suggestions or opinions?

Thanks!

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
Re: Stacked or Rails? Big difference? Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 12:53:47 PM »
I do not like anything to sound hi-fi.

Can you clarify/further define what you mean by "hi-fi"?
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 03:39:26 AM »
From the suggestions given AZ and two Injector necks would be a good combo, especially since you plan to use them with a 500k volume pot. Keep in mind though that the Injector neck still sounds very much strat like and provides good quack with the 500k volume pot - the Injectors are designed for that and to keep up in volume with a stronger bridge pickup and 500k volume pot(s).

Of all the other options listed I only have experience with the Chopper, and that only in the bridge. My gut feeling says it is not really suited for the middle position but then I do not play much on the middle alone and use it mostly in combination with bridge or neck. I would try something brighter there, e.g. FT-1 or Satch Track. Neck position - also FT-1 or Satch Track.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline boardn10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:16:59 PM »
Hi-fi as in clinical, the opposite of warm.
I was thinking of the Injectors, but why not an Injector bridge in the middle. Since I am not a single coil fan, I sometimes just think of getting mini humbuckers for all slots and I would just have a different flavor of humbucker in the middle.
What exactly is quack? I have never liked single coils because I just can;t play them. I am like Chris Shiffel who has a signature Tele where he uses only humbuckers because he doesn't get along with singles, I am the same way.
Maybe I will try a Chopper in the middle and Satch Track in the neck. Or, Fast Track center and Satch neck or vice versa. I prefer the weakest pickup in the neck.
I am trying to get used to single coils more and take advantage of what they can bring to the table, so maybe I try the Injector neck pickups. I will just have to lower the neck pickup moire to balance volume.
Regarding strats, I never found a use for the 2 and 4 positions - always seemed to lack tightness.
Only volume is 500K!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 03:46:18 AM »
If you don't have a use for the #2 and #4 positions consider a H-S set up (one bridge humbucker  and one  neck single coil). More oomph at the bridge where it's needed and more clarity in the neck where it is needed, too - really the best of both worlds. I could imagine that Air Zone and Satch Track would be a great combination.

Stacked is not a bad design in itself. There are better stacked designs with respect to the goal to make the pickup humcancelling and still have it sound like a single coil. Since that is not what you want, a rail design may suit you better. 

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline boardn10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 03:21:18 PM »
If you don't have a use for the #2 and #4 positions consider a H-S set up (one bridge humbucker  and one  neck single coil). More oomph at the bridge where it's needed and more clarity in the neck where it is needed, too - really the best of both worlds. I could imagine that Air Zone and Satch Track would be a great combination.

Stacked is not a bad design in itself. There are better stacked designs with respect to the goal to make the pickup humcancelling and still have it sound like a single coil. Since that is not what you want, a rail design may suit you better. 

Cheers Stephan

Thanks Stephan! Are you recommending I rewire for the HB and single with no middle, and a new pick guard? How is that more powerful? How does that equate to more bridge umph and neck clarity?

Also, I am not apposed to giving noiseless single one more chance. Maybe two Injectors.
How about an Injector bridge in the middle?

I also use a 500K volume and 250K stock tones.

I was told a fantastic set up for strat is Air Zone bridge, Chopper middle and Fast Track neck!

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »
Just to clarify: H-S is not more powerful than H-S-S with the same bridge and neck pickups. It is just a simpler set up making the most use of the best properties for each type of pickup for a specific position. A humbucker is good in the bridge position because in series mode the signals that both coils pickup are added, therefore giving higher output and a bit more compression. In the neck spot however you have more string vibration so a pickup with a narrower field (e.g. a single coil or a single coil sized rail humbucker) cancels fewer high frequencies which are needed for clarity in the neck position.

H-S-S offers the same benefits insofar but there is no middle pickup to get in the way.

Cheers Stephan

Offline boardn10

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »
Thanks. I assumed that was what you meant but I wanted to be certain. In this scenatio, I prefer a hotter middle pickup than the neck pickup. I really want to try the injector set but it is often recommended to use two Injector neck pickups. Why not have an Injector bridge pickup in the middle?

Ahh...i see why two Injector neck pickups are recommended. The will be more single coil like. I am willing to give singles one more try. However, my experience with 54 Pros and stock Fenders and Fender High Output noiseless singles could not keep up with my humbuckers.
Many times I would pickup a strat and people say I drop from the mix.
If the Injectors can't do it, I will just stick to rails like the Choppers, Fast Tracks and Satch Tracks. I know the Chopper rocks and keeps up with full size humbuckers but they don't sound much like singles.
That is fine cause I want my single coil size pickups to be like my humbuckers but better clean and maybe cleaner and clearer under gain but plenty fat and powerful. The quack is not a big deal to me. To me the notch positions on a strat always have this haze or fuzzy quality I never like. Maybe that is because most of the music I play is either clean or rock, hard rock or heavy high gain.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:04:19 PM by boardn10 »