Need help with pickup choise

• 6 Replies

Offline Orkhan

• View Profile
Need help with pickup choise
« on: May 05, 2015, 04:35:21 AM »
Hello everybody! Sorry for my some incorrect English. That is not my main language. So I need some advice.
I've started to building guitar with different parts. Alder Jackson DKMG body and old Jackson JTX neck with maple fingerboard.
I've heavily modified body for fitting this neck and neck humbucker routing for single cloil pup.
I will put a DiMarzio Virtual Solo for neck pup. Love this pickup. It has its own unique sound.
But have some confusion with bridge pickup. I need some slightly bright but not thin with moderate or not too high output humbucker which will match very well with Virtual Solo.
In my other guitars I have Evolution. My favorite pups. But I want something different with less power. More definition but with the same screaming ability.
I am most toward to Mo Joe or Evo 2 (I know it is not so bright, but it is not as dark as Tone Zone)
I play mostly heavy metal and some progressive stuff. What pickup you will recommend?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:42:35 AM by Orkhan »

Offline Orkhan

• View Profile
Re: Need help with pickup choise
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 04:40:39 AM »
And I want to know how Mo Joe will sound with hi-gain?

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 08:34:51 AM »
can't help you, but just want to say your English is good :)

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »
A Virtual Solo is going to be very warm and full in the neck. It's not my choice for a neck pickup, but if you love it there, rock on.

I think you're going to want something that's higher output and warmer/darker than the Mo Joe, though. It's a pretty bright pickup without much else that is notable. It's not one of Dimarzio's best, IMHO.

You might like the Evo2, although I'd suggest look at pickups with even higher output to match the VS, and less treble, since your maple neck is going to accentuate that frequency range. Crunch Lab or Super Distortion would fit.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:25:07 AM »
I need some slightly bright but not thin with moderate or not too high output humbucker which will match very well with Virtual Solo.
In my other guitars I have Evolution. My favorite pups. But I want something different with less power. More definition but with the same screaming ability.

Sounds like Evo2 to me (plus, evo2 sounds gorgeous on alder+maple). If you want higher output then that and want good definition, you may like Titan. If you want bright, screaming, tons of definition and tons of power, you'll love D-Activator - very aggressive and bright sounding (but not thin), imho all of these pickups will sound great on your axe.

Mo'Joe sounds pretty crunchy with higher gain, it's a solo heaven since the pickup is so harmonic-friendly, they pop out all over the place. The bass is tight but not too much, it's more or less neutral (flat) sounding, except a slight boost in hi mids to help with harmonics, it's not a high output pickup however, and if you want power from it anywhere close to your evolutions, you'll have to be going for a boost pedal. The rhythm sound is a little uninspiring (too flat eq, a lil generic sounding, imho anyway), but like I said for leads and melodies Mo'Joe is a treat. Personally, I wouldn't use it for heavy metal.

It's a pretty bright pickup without much else that is notable. It's not one of Dimarzio's best, IMHO.
It didn't sound so bright to my ears, more or less flat, not super tight either, although I'll agree it's a little generic sounding (with the exception of the harmonics).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:32:42 AM by corypheus »

Offline Orkhan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 03:24:30 AM »
Ok. I will will stuck with Evo 2.
I played Super Distortion, D Activator and Crunch Lab. Did not like them.
SD sounds a little muddy :) DA sound like with some little amount of wah (too much high mids, but sounds good with basswood than alder) and CL sounds too sterile for my ears and it is not screams.

Offline Orkhan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 02:18:48 PM »
Guys, I have one more question. Is it possible to get some Yngwie's sound or something close from full sized DiMarzio humbucker in bridge position?
May be something like Chopper but a little hotter? :)